+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smoky Lake SSR Question

Default Smoky Lake SSR Question

Anyone out there with a Smoky Lake Silverplate evaporator (6'x2' flu pan, 2'x2' syrup pan), with same side reverse; how long can you run before the sugar sand overwhelms the pan causing scorching and forces you to shut down? I realize the amount of sugar sand can vary a bit from season to season and boil to boil, so ball park figure is fine. Thanks.
    301 buckets

Quote Originally Posted by mike z View Post
    Anyone out there with a Smoky Lake Silverplate evaporator (6'x2' flu pan, 2'x2' syrup pan), with same side reverse; how long can you run before the sugar sand overwhelms the pan causing scorching and forces you to shut down? I realize the amount of sugar sand can vary a bit from season to season and boil to boil, so ball park figure is fine. Thanks.
    I have this set-up minus the arch. First off I haven’t run into a situation where I’ve been forced to shut down due to reversing not being effective. My boils are mainly 3-400 gallons at a time of raw sap. So a boil usually lasts 4-5 hours, I’ve found reversing mid way through the boil works well for me. Basically after about 200 gallons of sap it’s time to reverse. Otherwise scorching is a real possibility. I usually clean the syrup pan with vinegar as soon as I have time, sometimes this is after a boil (1-2 reverses) or after several boils (5-6 reverses). The old school method of tapping the bottom of the pan and listening for the sound change is pretty good indicator that it’s time to reverse.
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Raised Flue
    Mason Arch

5 Buckets
    300 Gravity
    120 High Shurflo vac

7" Wes Fab Filter Press
    Mason Finisher
    Mason Water-Jacketed Canner

I got the same side reverse this year on a 2 x 6 drop flu with the 4 foot flu pan. and when I had to clean my pans varied this year from 2000 gallons of raw sap processed for the first time to around 500 to 600 gallons of raw sap processed. I got an RO this so the actual gallons boiled were less. You will have to play with it but I would day you could bet by with at least 2 to 4 times as much sap as by not switching sides. I would advise not going until it is ready to scorch the niter. It is nice to not have to clean the pan as often and not have to physically turn the pan around.

Thanks for the replies. When I bought my Smoky Lake setup I decided not to get the SSR. Now I realize that was a mistake, (Jim was right), as I will consistently scorch my from pan due to the niter build up after boiling 200-250 gals. of raw sap. I soak my front pan every night and clean before the next boil. I have two front pans, but what a pain to switch them when I only have 50 more gallons to boil down. During one of these frantic pan switching episodes this year, I failed to realize that I didn't open the valve feeding the front pan and smoked it. The pan warped slightly and should be fine, but I think its time to get the SSR front pan.
    301 buckets

Quote Originally Posted by mike z View Post
    Thanks for the replies. When I bought my Smoky Lake setup I decided not to get the SSR. Now I realize that was a mistake, (Jim was right), as I will consistently scorch my from pan due to the niter build up after boiling 200-250 gals. of raw sap. I soak my front pan every night and clean before the next boil. I have two front pans, but what a pain to switch them when I only have 50 more gallons to boil down. During one of these frantic pan switching episodes this year, I failed to realize that I didn't open the valve feeding the front pan and smoked it. The pan warped slightly and should be fine, but I think its time to get the SSR front pan.
    You must have a big niter/sand problem if you can only get 250gal of raw before having to clean or switch sides/pans.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Mellondome My part of Wisconsin sits on shallow Limestone and my sugar sand is a big problem. After 3000 gallons it looks like someone emptied a couple boxes of Corn Flakes in the finish pans.

Mike Z after forgetting to open my valve a few time once with total destruction of both my pans I have a flag I tape to the valve handle so you cant walk near the unit when its shut. Has saved me more than once. Plus my 3 point over alarm is a must.

Make sure you let Jim know that you did not have the SSR on your original pan as the hole coming out of the drop flu pans are not in the same spot. He had to add a new fitting to my flu pan to make it work.

I sure do have a big niter/sand problem. Not sure why?? I keep thinking "well... this was just a bad sand year", but they all seem to be bad. I have a raised flu pan. I will go over my whole system with Jim to make sure the SSR will work.
    301 buckets

+ Reply to Thread