+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum results are not what we thought

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, it has more to do with location than anything. Last season was bad here and this season is even worse. We're a couple hundred miles north of the majority of Vermont and Quebec producers and using their yields for guidelines are setting you up for disappointment. A sugar maker from Quebec started a 12000 tap sugarbush near me a while back, he ran it for a few years and discovered that extreme northern Maine is nothing like Quebec or Vermont. Those maples became saw logs and firewood and he moved back to Quebec.

Being on flat ground you will have to create an artificial slope to get good flow and vacuum transfer. On the end of the mainlines that are furthest away from the releaser secure your mainline as high in the end tree as you can reach so that you can get a 2% or better grade. You will have to have a reverse slope on the laterals on that end of the mainline. You won't get as much sap from them as you will the ones that are sloped down to the mainline but you will get some and more overall. If you can eliminate some of the sap ladders by doing that you can also set up a wet/dry set up to get better vacuum transfer to the lateral mains.

To touch on what someone else has said, every year since I put my taps on vacuum it has been a season saver or maker. When I did vacuum and buckets it was clear to see that I was getting a lot more sap from the vacuum. So much so that I hang zero buckets now which is how many I want to collect from.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Dr. Perkins was talking about frost on another thread that a fellow Minnesotan had started. That was my original thought behind our lower than expected yield. These last three years excavators were talking about 6 feet of frost in areas (I build homes). A couple years back waterlines were freezing 8 feet deep. I didn't really hear or ask for reports this winter but it was no different in terms of almost no snow cover, prolonged subzero temps, and frost that persisted throughout the maple season. I couldn't go 1 inch into the soil with a shovel until after the season ended. There's still frost in some areas.
    Every year that our bags were filling was also good snows throughout winter and almost no frost.

Point is, I'm having trouble pinpointing a major problem with the lines. I'm a hands on type of guy and my vacuum "evidence" seems a little unscientific, if there is a loss it's not a significant amount of trees. Most lines are working well.
    Last edited by MN Jake; 04-27-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

If you have good vacuum at the end of your lines and keep leaks in check, you are getting the best you can expect with the conditions. Finishing the season and still not being able to put a shovel in more than an inch is telling the whole story. Just wait for a winter with average snow cover and you will see a huge gain, be ready for it. Under the conditions you described the bags would not have been near as good as the tubing/vacuum set up.
    Try to add some vacuum gauges, I do it by using a saddle on mains and just a T on some laterals. Every main I have has a gauge at the far end, but maybe only about 5% of my 5/16 and about 10% of my 3/16 have gauges. However even that gives me a good picture of what is going on. I have sap ladders too, but plan to eliminate them this year and next. I will start using 3/16 to climb to the main instead because of the 3/16 fact that the air (gas) does not pass the sap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maple flats, the thread about the frost where Dr. Perkins mentioned the trees would not be able to recharge is where I started questioning things. It likely boils down to most were locked in the frost, there are a good number of trees that were likely thawed from the river edges. I should have spent more time examining which taps were really running and what weren't. Thanks everyone for your input
    Last edited by MN Jake; 04-27-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12