+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window and alternative use questions

Our sugar shack also serves as a garden shed. We keep all of our garden supplies, wheel barrow, tools, potting supplies, soil etc. in the shed. My shed also has a 2nd floor half loft with pull down attic stairs. I use that space during deer season to hang all of my clothes and keep them scent free. It's also where I get changed before and after the hunt. Finally, our shed sits on a full root cellar with bulkhead access.

When I built it it just didn't make financial sense to spend that kind of money on a nice looking building that I would only use 6 weeks out of the year to make less than a dozen gallons of syrup each year. Had to make it multi-function to rationalize the cost.
    Last edited by bigschuss; 04-26-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I put three salvage Andersen casement windows in mine. They have screens, which keep out the flies/moths, and believe it or not, birds, who insist that the shack is the perfect place for their nests. I keep the upper windows open all season to help draft out the steam, and in the off season to keep the place aired out. This is particularly necessary while the pans are soaking in sour sap, which can smell disgusting.

My shack is really too small for any outer purpose in the off season, but it's attached to a bigger barn which holds everything else. I will just put all my supplies in there, and aside from the occasional maple tour, don't visit too often except when working on the building or equipment.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I have screens. We use the building for other things during the year.
    Nice to get the airflow thru without the bugs.
    N 45 51.5406
    w 88 2.607655

100 taps
    sunrise 2x4 evaporator
    new 12 x 20 sugar shack
    Just a hobby for the family

Yes, screens.
    Yes, we open the windows, usually late season.

We only store maple stuff in there during the off season (tubing, buckets etc.).
    It’s a single purpose structure and treated as such.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

+ Reply to Thread