+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird jelly like syrup

Default Weird jelly like syrup

I work with a guy who had some of his maple syrup turn into what can only be described as a jelly like substance. He admittedly said it was probably thin when he canned it but canned it straight from the evaporator so it was boiling. It sat for about a month and when he open and poured it out a bunch of it came out at once with kind of a plop. He re-boiled it and even at boiling it more or less plopped out into the filter. It eventually went thru the filter (cloth filter) but was like a blob again after it did. I had no idea what to tell him as I've never seen anything like this but thought maybe someone here has come across or heard of this before? He also says it tastes different now, still on the sweet side but not exactly like syrup. Anyone have any thoughts??
    1st year - 6 taps and a turkey fryer and 1 gallon of syrup
    2nd year - 12 taps, turkey fryer and another gallon of syrup
    3rd year - 45 taps, new propane setup and 5 gallons of syrup

Sounds like ropey syrup to me. It'll happen if it gets warm and spoils. It can happen to sap or almost finished syrup and anything between. It sure is goofy stuff. I tried to fill a ladle with some concentrate from my back pan that had sat around for 24 hours too long. The ladle filled, but when I lifted it out of the bucket it pulled right out of the ladle and rejoined the rest of the blob.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Do a search on this site for ROPEY sap or ROPEY syrup. Also known as STRINGY. It is caused by bacterial action in sap or pan sweet that was contaminated (same organism that causes sour milk). It probably also isn't dense enough...it is almost impossible to get an accurate density on the stuff. What you're eating is bacterial exudate (snot) mixed into maple syrup.

Bottom line....dump it. Works better as a novelty toy than food.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Awesome, thanks for your help!! He did say he left a bunch of sap in the pan for 4 days (stuff he had boiled for awhile but wasn't syrup) and then added more the next weekend and kept boiling. Apparently a few of those days were in the 50's and his rig is outside. That must have been it. Sounds gross

I still can't get over the fact that once it plopped out of the jar he decided to taste it! hahahaha
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

He was just asking me if he can still eat it as he says it still tastes kind of sweet. Said I wasn't sure if it would hurt you or not, I'm guessing it wont.

Sounds ropey to me. You couldn't pay me enough to eat it!

We use old sap in our pans for a month or more to clean them. One year I was brave enough to put my hand in it to show someone how stringy it was. When I dropped the handful of snot some of it went over the edge of the pan and next thing you knew it was climbing out like some sort of swamp creature! I guess it was technically siphoning but it was still freaky, disgusting and cool at the same time!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Turns out that p[eople will pay good money for it. I had 5) 5 gallon buckets of it and a guy drove 85 miles to get it for Bear bait. Tasting it wasnt so bad. I have friends that think I'm nuts for tasting liquids that drip from a car to see what it is and I'm still a sane as they come.

Bears also eat a rotten beaver carcass, not a god comparison. However if you need to get rid of some that may well be a good market if you can find the buyers.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The last 8 gallons of half syrup that I couldn't get to run off the front pan will be going on a bear bait this weekend. Bears will eat almost anything.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread