+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New press is passing DE 😡

Default New press is passing DE 😡

Hello all new member here hoping for some help with a new press.
    We have a small hobby operation in central MN finishing 30-40 gallons of syrup annually we batch boil 8% concentate in a 2.5' x 5' flat pan using wood for heat. In the past we have garavity filtered through felt after each boil and depending on filter speed sometimes we could get into jars above 180 deg. if it was dirty and filtered slow maintaining temp was an issue and we would need to water bath after it was jarred. We decided that process was the least enjoyable part of the syrup season so we upgraded this season to a smokey lake stainless 7" filter press with a diaphragm air pump. Our first batch of the season 16 gallons went great with fantastic looking finished syrup. On Saturday we attemted to filter a 10 galllon batch and ended up with DE in the syrup we broke down the press cleaned and reassembled with the same result due to other commitments that is as far as we have got. I'm hoping someone with more experience may have some advice. The following is the process we used, the press has 3 window plates and two waffle plates we install filter paper on both sides of the each window plate for a total of 6 and the hangers do not allow a plate to be installed backwards, tighten down the press equally and heated the syrup over propane to 218 deg. drew off 2.5 gallons mixed in 2 cups of DE and ran that through the press for the precahrge we added 2 cups to the reaminder after cycling the syrup we ended up with DE passing trough the press on both attempts the paper is catching most of the DE just not all of it we did add more DE while cycling a total 2 cups on the first attempt and 4 on the second. Breaking down the press the first time the DE was dirty holding the niter the second time the DE was still white so i think the syrup is clean and after settling the syrup looks good with the DE settled out. All of the supply's including DE are from smokey lake.
    Sorry so long but wanted to relay as much as i could.
    Thanks Jeff

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The filter press is the most complicated thing you can ever see in operation and disassembly..........UNTIL you look at it and come to terms with how it works and then its SIMPLE. I don't care if your filtering dog turds with DE it should come out clear.

I believe you either blew out a paper or installed one out of phase meaning the holes didn't line up. You should not pass anything so don't settle for anything less.(pun intended) even if you don't tighten the plates right you will not pass dirty syrup to the clean side. Make sure your not mistaking bypass for the filter setting on your pump.

Sounds like you had a plate in backwards. We seem to do it at least once a season. Usually there is a mark on one of the ears of each plate these all have to line up. On our one ear is a hook one is flat. All hooks go to the left.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Are you recirculating syrup back to the tank for a while until the DE cake builds up on the plates?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

You can't put the plates in backwards but make sure you have the proper orientation on the papers. Also are you using new papers? I have heard that he had some reusable ones in the past but they did not hold up from what I hear.

we had same problem with our smoky lake press although you cant put plates in wrong you can put end plate on 180 degrees off make sure hole is on bottom on end plate. With end plate on right or rotated 180 degrees you cant tell if its on right or wrong thats why we have stamped our end plate "THIS SIDE UP" on top of end plate.

Sounds like your ratio of DE is good. Did you do a good mix/stir of the DE with the syrup before pumping anything? Maybe ran the air pump too fast? Don't give up, we make about the same syrup as you each year and our 7" press is the best investment made to date! You will swear by it once its figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Are you recirculating syrup back to the tank for a while until the DE cake builds up on the plates?
    Yes recirculated for at least 20 min on the second attempt also added DE at the 15 min mark to try and solve the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    You can't put the plates in backwards but make sure you have the proper orientation on the papers. Also are you using new papers? I have heard that he had some reusable ones in the past but they did not hold up from what I hear.
    new papers each time we did not know there is a "correct orientation" we had the holes in the papers down and the lined up with the holes in the plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcreek Maple View Post
    we had same problem with our smoky lake press although you cant put plates in wrong you can put end plate on 180 degrees off make sure hole is on bottom on end plate. With end plate on right or rotated 180 degrees you cant tell if its on right or wrong thats why we have stamped our end plate "THIS SIDE UP" on top of end plate.
    This is something we did not look at but I will be this afternoon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast