+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going to use plastic bags in my buckets - high vs. low density?

Default Going to use plastic bags in my buckets - high vs. low density?

I am looking at using a plastic bag liner in my old buckets next year. They are pretty inexpensive. Can anyone comment on high vs low density bags?

I don't know anything about the density of the bags, but HDPE plastic (high density poly ethylene) is food-grade. Doesn't the manufacturer list whether it's suitable for food contact? If they don't, I'd stay away from them until it can be proven.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Yes the high density do say food grade. I was wondering how they would hold up - they as so thin. At this point I plan on going high density. I was hoping to hear from actual experience. Thanks
    Been doing syrup for 37 years
    buckets, spiles, 2 flat pans
    boil off 30 gal/hr
    2019 178 taps
    loving this life

Still have nothing on the liners themselves (no experience there)- but I just checked some Brute-Rubbermaid ingredient containers here at work (a food manufacturing facility) and they are made from low density poly ethylene. However, they do have the N.S.F. symbol on them which is a food-safe insignia. So LDPE can be used provided it's approved. I'd still prefer to see some literature stating that from the bag liner manufacturers, though.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread