+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy Sap 2018 any ideas

Default Cloudy Sap 2018 any ideas

Hello everyone this is my 3rd year making syrup and still learning as I go. But this year was really weird and not sure what really happen any help would be grateful.

So to start it off when the sap first Started running it was coming out cloudy after the first 300 gallons of collection it came out clear for a couple hundred gallons then cloudy again. It seemed like it was spoiling but it was cold still and wasn't even getting high temps during the day. All new lines taps everything was ran new this year. Everything was cleaned very good. Around 125 taps and it was all my tree I have about 15-30 taps on a line. Last year never had this problem this year it started off just like that cloudy. Did I do something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's unusual for sap to come in cloudy early in the season but normal at the end. Cleanliness of collection and storage tanks and sap handling equipment would be things that I would suspect as causes.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Is the sap sitting in a tank for a long time?
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    It's unusual for sap to come in cloudy early in the season but normal at the end. Cleanliness of collection and storage tanks and sap handling equipment would be things that I would suspect as causes.
    I scrubbed all my tanks with a bleach water mixture and rinsed throughly as well as my pump and hose. From the first run I looked in the barrels and it was a hint of cloudy. And I ran all new line and drops everything. Never had a problem before.

Could the line itself have something to do with it I bought it from a different supplier this year the previous years I used from a different supplier.

Do I have purge the tubing before with a quick rinse or something.

Sorry just frustrated all the work and time I have in it this year and it was a bust. Kind of disappointed myself.

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    Is the sap sitting in a tank for a long time?
    Not really. When I set everything up and put all my barrels out 2 days later checked on them they weren't really much in there but what was it wasn't bad a tint of cloudy in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread