+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type of filter press should I get?

Hybrid View

Default What type of filter press should I get?

This year I'm up to about 400 taps and am using an RO to 8% and boiling on a 2x6 Leader Patriot and have a goal of 100 gallons of syrup. I've always used cone filters and I hate them so much. I hate washing them, and this year, I hate how they can't keep up with my more frequent draw offs because of boiling concentrate. I typically draw off between 5-8 gallons a day. I have no problem with the idea of holding a couple of days worth of syrup to warm back up to use a filter press (can dropping a color grade be an issue though?) so in theory I may be filtering about 15 gallons in a day (my canner holds 16). Here are my concerns: 1) I don't want a hand pump press. That just dosn't look like fun and I may expand in the future. 2) In fear of them being "outlawed", I don't want to waste $ on an Orberdorpher pump, even though Orberdorpher is a fun word to say. I hear they wear out too and I don't want anything I have to diddle with that often 3) Air pumps are holly cow expensive and then I have to get an air compressor and plumb that but I'm thinking that might be the way to go. I really like the idea of the Leader 7.5" press, although spending $2K on a filter press seems like quite an investment. I'm hoping to make syrup for several years (God willing) so it might not be so terrible spread out over the next 20some years. I've seen D7G has an electric Flowjet pump. Is that a cheaper/easier non lead alternative to the air pump? It says in the book "new for 2018" has anyone tried them??

I really don't know what to do and I appreciate any advise that anyone may have for me.
    Last edited by Snowmad; 04-06-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Keeping syrup hot all day long will darken quicker that bringing the entire batch up to heat right before you filter and bottle. Now if at the end of the day you have a tank with hot syrup that you could quickly heat and filter then I would do that with a press with pump. Its your money so spend it as you think will fit your operation in 2-3 years. I agree that you will be disappointed in a hand pump unit if you plan on growing.

I also find that when you get a bigger key piece of equipment you build around it. What I mean is the table it sits on or cart. You may get a bigger finisher/re heater and bottler so plan ahead. OH and dont forget the sink you will completely submerge it in the sanitize it Ha Ha.

You could start out with a press with a gear pump on it and change it over to an air pump when the gear pump wears out. A 7"short bank press would fit your needs for many years. You can save a little money by getting a used press but may need to replace the gear pump sooner than planned.

Filtering 5 to 8 gallons of syrup at a time would be a good amount for learning how to use the press so you can do it the same day that you boil. You will have to find a method to reheat it because you want the syrup at or near boiling to run it through the press. I have a draw off pan that will hold all of the syrup for a night's boil with a burner set up on wheels that I made from an old Weber gas grill. I light it before I'm done boiling and time it so that it's at filtering temp when I run out of sap.

My press had a hand pump on it and I quickly switched it over to an air pump. I found my air pump on ebay for $99 and it was brand new so the deals are out there. I wouldn't recommend going that route because the hand pump presses aren't built to handle the pressure that a mechanical or air pump will produce.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I am a cheap skate, I mean cheap, I always try to find the best Deal I can on things. I've looked at all the presses looked at all the pump combos, thought about just ordering a Press and Getting a pump from the Likes of FW Webb or the Internet. But in the end I would only save a couple hundred dollars. I think that you should get what you like the most because as you said you will probably use it for 20 years is it really worth trying to save 2-300 bucks. Happy Shopping.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

My 2 cents to help you spend your money!
    Get a 12 inch Siro press with a air diaphragm pump. I will guarantee that you will never regret it! It will handle your needs for a long time. and you wont have to worry about the gear pump. Easy to tear down and clean. No papers. Reusable filters. You will need the air compressor.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 04-07-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

What are the thoughts on an electric pump (not brass Orberdorpher) to pump the syrup though the press? For some reason I'm a little hung up on having a noisy air compressor humming away and dealing with air lines. I've found a press that has an electric diaphragm pump. It's an Aquatech, Model: #5513-1E01-J606. Steel motor housing with plastic pump housing. Looks rebuild-able to me.
    Flow rate of 5.5gpm. Peaks at 60psi, with flow of 3gpm. Draws up to 2.4amps. 115V. Anyone using something like this? Do they hold up? Are they easy to use? It's a 7", 6-2” frames, Drain tray, valves for syrup transfer, filter papers, 12’ of ½” filter press hose, bag of filter aid. All mounted on cart with wheels and can tip up to place filters and they are asking $1800. Sound like a good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
    What are the thoughts on an electric pump (not brass Orberdorpher) to pump the syrup though the press? For some reason I'm a little hung up on having a noisy air compressor humming away and dealing with air lines. I've found a press that has an electric diaphragm pump. It's an Aquatech, Model: #5513-1E01-J606. Steel motor housing with plastic pump housing. Looks rebuild-able to me.
    Flow rate of 5.5gpm. Peaks at 60psi, with flow of 3gpm. Draws up to 2.4amps. 115V. Anyone using something like this? Do they hold up? Are they easy to use? It's a 7", 6-2” frames, Drain tray, valves for syrup transfer, filter papers, 12’ of ½” filter press hose, bag of filter aid. All mounted on cart with wheels and can tip up to place filters and they are asking $1800. Sound like a good buy?
    My compressor is outside. A hose on the exhaust port going outside makes the pump pretty quiet. I like infinite speed adjustment.
    One concern on the one you mention is what is the rated temperature?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
    I would be concerned about the 60 psi max pressure. When the syrup is especially dirty my press will go over 60 psi long before it's clogged up enough to change the papers.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

You could get by with a 7" press but if You want to do 15-20 gallons at a time I would go with a 10" press. Especially if you plan to expand. Spend the money and do it right the first time.

I’ve had 3 different presses
    Short 7” would work good for your size but used 7”presses are abundant so I’d go for a full and just shorten it up to what fits your current size but you can always add the plated back to it as you grow.

Agree 100% on the gear pump, go air as Wiam said. I set my compressor st 55 psi, so the press won’t build any more pressure than that. Usually by that point I’m either done or it’s packed full. Plus I’m sure you’ll use the compressor for other things too.

Just my 3 cents, good luck with it

+ Reply to Thread