+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Quebec Production

You and I are farther north than the majority of Quebec producers and have had similar seasons. Sap is just now starting to run stronger and I hope to get another week, but I have my doubts. I made nothing but dark robust until today when I finally made amber. We're at less than 1/3 of our normal crop, so it's not looking good!

I wouldn't expect much if any change in bulk price even if Quebec didn't make a drop of syrup with the size of the reserve and the leftover inventory in US there is plenty of syrup.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Quote Originally Posted by eagle lake sugar View Post
    You and I are farther north than the majority of Quebec producers and have had similar seasons. Sap is just now starting to run stronger and I hope to get another week, but I have my doubts. I made nothing but dark robust until today when I finally made amber. We're at less than 1/3 of our normal crop, so it's not looking good!
    It seems it is this way across the whole maple belt. Northern Wisconsin is not doing very good at all, while central areas have fared quite well. I have a north facing woods that has done very poor this year. The south woods obviously made up for it, because I have done very well. I have never had a year to make all light and medium! My first 1/2 a drum of dark came out saturday night. A very strange thing to make all light syrup, many year I struggle trying to make some.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12