+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eastern Hop Hornbeam Syrup

Muscled like a body builder is a good description. I am not sure about basswood, I have heard of box elder and butternut trees producing sweet sap. Never heard of anyone trying to boil it but from experience cutting a large vine that grows up into the trees that you can swing on will create a waterfall when cut!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

My American hornbeam never exceed 10" in diameter. The hophornbeam(ironwood) get a little bigger. I have cut several for firewood about 15" give or take a little. Very hard,heavy, & wet feeling. Great for the outside woodburner. Please tell us how the syrup taste.
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

Fascinating! Please keep us informed. It's very prolific in far northern New York.

This is one of those times when we should rely on the Latin name. Ironwood means something different wherever you go, and Hard-hack refers to at least two trees in my woods alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    This is one of those times when we should rely on the Latin name. Ironwood means something different wherever you go, and Hard-hack refers to at least two trees in my woods alone.
    I agree. Common names vary regionally. The OP referenced the tree being in the Birch family which implies it is Ostrya Virginiana.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Carpinus (Ironwood) has smooth bark and wood often looks muscled like a bodybuilder. Ostrya (hophornbeam) has a gray bark also but looks more like a cat scratched it up. Both are very dense wood and here in central pa never get much bigger than 12" or so.
    Thanks very much. I may have seen both on my hunting land, but if so, I don't think any are larger than 6" diameter. One of the most prominent species that I have on that land is speckled alder, which rarely gets above 3", but I've just learned that they are a member of the birch family so may be eligible for tapping. I smoke meat with alder, so I may have to give syrup a try. If I kill one tree with every tap, I wouldn't kill enough to make a difference in 100 years.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Hey, sorry for the confusion, I tapped Ostrya Virginiana, this one was maybe 14" dbh. The sap was low in sugar content, I boiled one full 5 gallon bucket down to 1 ounce, so about a 600 to 1 ratio of sap to syrup. The syrup tasted similar to birch syrup I boiled from Sweet Birch (Betula Lenta), but with a stronger spicy flavor. Since I am boiling about 5 times more Hornbeam sap per unit of syrup than birch, I figure it must include a higher proportion of the other constituents of the sap. I think that it would be best used to glaze food in cooking, or maybe included in a cocktail like a bitters. I don't think I will do it again with the boil ratio being so high, and I think i prefer the taste of birch syrup anyway, but it was an interesting experiment and appreciate the privilege of being one of the few people to taste Eastern Hop Hornbeam Syrup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12