+ Reply to Thread

Thread: two-tone syrup?

Default two-tone syrup?

We poured that last bit of the last batch of syrup this season into a half-full bottle of syrup from earlier in the season that was in the frig.
    The last syrup of the season seems to be floating on top of the early season syrup:

two-tone syrup.jpg

I would have thought the two batches would blend together and make a uniform color.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Are you talking about the thin darker strip at the top? Perhaps they didn't mix because they are different densities (caused by either temperature or sugar content). The extreme example is if you drop syrup into a glass of cold water it will fall to the bottom and stay there a while.

Yes. The darker strip at the top of the syrup.

I finish all my syrup batches to the same 66.7 brix. So I assume sugar density should be the same in all batches?

I could be wrong about that though. Still learning.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

heat it some and it will blend.

If you poured room temp syrup into cold syrup from the fridge the density will be different even with the same sugar content.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

This sounds like inadequate mixing, however there is very rarely another issue that can occur in syrup called "layering", where syrup of two different chemical profiles will separate in a container, almost like water and oil. Very odd.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Cool, I have been toying with the idea of trying to get two-tone syrup but on purpose, like floating a layer of light atop dark.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

+ Reply to Thread