+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone boil in their garage?

Default Anyone boil in their garage?

I am planning on building a garage this year and would like to incorporate my small operation into it. I'm planning on a 24x36 garage with a 10 foot lean to roof off the back. I'm considering putting the evaporator under the lean-to as it would be easier to put the stack through. Any suggestions on this?

I would check with my insurance company and make sure they are not going to stick it to me for having it attached to the garage.
    also
    if selling make sure you can have it approved and be connected to the garage

What size evap are you running?
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Yes, separated by wall and a door. Insurance agent looked at it before I could cover the charred wall stud due to the stack. He rolled his eyes and smiled as I tried standing between him and the stud. I am covered, just can't have a wood stove in the garage, a stove is used for heat and can't have an appliance that uses a open flame like a wood stove, pellet stove.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Hmm I will have to check on the stove in garage thing. I am in northern NY and almost every garage has a stove in it. It is still snowing up here. I made 8 gallons on a barrel stove this yr but will be going with a 2x4 for next. From what it sounds like if I have it outside under a lean to it may be better for insurance purposes.

Insurance really all depends on the agent and the Insurance writer, the reason wood stoves are frowned upon in a Garage is they tend to be run unsupervised. A knowledgeable insurance writer will understand that a wood fired evaporator is constantly supervised, so it "should" be less of a risk to the company the Insurance writer represents. When I boiled in my garage I had a endorsement on my policy that allowed for the evaporator.

Keep in mind as soon as you start selling syrup you are a "commercial activity and you will need more than just homeowners on your building. Depending on the state but I know that is true for Maine & New Hampshire.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I'll put in my 2cents(adjust for inflation)if you're doing this for yourself,and you get approval from your insurance,great. But,if you are selling,well I think not a good thing. You have gas cans,paint,all sorts of stuff in a typical garage. Doesn't sound like a place to make a good product. Once again,unless it's for yourself. Just my idea.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

This news story might be pertinent.

http://www.tribdem.com/news/salisbur...c7befe982.html
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    This news story might be pertinent.

http://www.tribdem.com/news/salisbur...c7befe982.html
    He should have had AOF on his arch 😉
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread