+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer run 250 membranes storage

Default Deer run 250 membranes storage

I got Daves updated manual. Next year I want to remove the membranes (2- 4 inch). Never removed always stored in RO. What size do I make the storage tubes. Any tips or parts I need to replace? Thanks Dave for your info. Drips a little under tower may be condensation?
    12 X16 sugar shack
    2X6 Patrick Phaneuf hood/pre-heater
    260 taps tubing with guzzler and 12 buckets
    Rays 250 RO
    950 John Deere

Might be condensation or a leak. When you get the drips is the outside of the canister sweaty? When you are almost finished with the wash cycle (hot water at up to 113F) when the canister should not be sweating, do you still get drips?
    For the canisters, I made some that store my extra membranes (for just in case) out of 4" PVC pipe. On one end I glued a cap, best if it has a flat face rather than a dome shape. On the other end I just have a 4" slip (glue) x 4" female adapter and into that I screw a threaded plug. Make the length of the pipe at 48". Test it for leaks before using it. When you get the cleaned membrane in the tube, fill it with the proper mixture of either membrane preservative or membrane antifreeze. Then screw the plug in. Store it upright or the plug might leak and let the membrane dry out at one end.
    To reinstall, make sure the U shaped seal is in good condition and the the open side of that seal faces the membrane, not away from it. Replace if necessary. When installing the membrane carefully ease it in and make sure the lower lip of that U shaped seal goes in without deforming. Then put the plug back into the canister, tap as needed to seat it using a rubber hammer, mallet or other non metal hammer, or use a block of wood and gently tap on that to seat the slide in plug. Then put the clamp on and tighten.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-17-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Excellent! Will be pulling my membrane today and the directions DO NOT tell you that the membrane needs to be immersed when stored.

It would make sense,...... but again THANK YOU!
    Badgerland 2x6 drop flue to fire in 2015
    Sugar Shack functional 2013.
    Home Comfort wood cook for pancake sampling.
    Hoping to grow the operation in 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Might be condensation or a leak. When you get the drips is the outside of the canister sweaty? When you are almost finished with the wash cycle (hot water at up to 113F) when the canister should not be sweating, do you still get drips?
    For the canisters, I made some that store my extra membranes (for just in case) out of 4" PVC pipe. On one end I glued a cap, best if it has a flat face rather than a dome shape. On the other end I just have a 4" slip (glue) x 4" female adapter and into that I screw a threaded plug. Make the length of the pipe at 48". Test it for leaks before using it. When you get the cleaned membrane in the tube, fill it with the proper mixture of either membrane preservative or membrane antifreeze. Then screw the plug in. Store it upright or the plug might leak and let the membrane dry out at one end.
    To reinstall, make sure the U shaped seal is in good condition and the the open side of that seal faces the membrane, not away from it. Replace if necessary. When installing the membrane carefully ease it in and make sure the lower lip of that U shaped seal goes in without deforming. Then put the plug back into the canister, tap as needed to seat it using a rubber hammer, mallet or other non metal hammer, or use a block of wood and gently tap on that to seat the slide in plug. Then put the clamp on and tighten.
    Once the membrane is stored in the tube where to you place it in the off season? Do you try to keep in in a cool place like your basement or does that not really matter?

I just tried to put my membrane in the 4" PVC pipe,................................ IT IS TIGHT! Is it advisable to "push" it in? I am not real sure about that as there are various edges from the fittings. HELP!
    Badgerland 2x6 drop flue to fire in 2015
    Sugar Shack functional 2013.
    Home Comfort wood cook for pancake sampling.
    Hoping to grow the operation in 2017-18

I'm not sure what might be different, but my 4" membranes go in and out easily. Must be your adapter coupling from 4" slip (glue) to 4" female thread is somehow different, it should not be tight.
    Once the membrane is in the storage tube, add a mixture of water with the right ratio of preservative in it and fill to the top, just below the threads, then store it upright in a cool dry place, I keep mine in the cellar.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete S View Post
    I just tried to put my membrane in the 4" PVC pipe,................................ IT IS TIGHT! Is it advisable to "push" it in? I am not real sure about that as there are various edges from the fittings. HELP!
    Did you take the u cup seal off? I had to do that with my 4” membranes. I used fernco caps for ends on my home built storage vessels.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by TRAILGUY View Post
    I got Daves updated manual. Next year I want to remove the membranes (2- 4 inch). Never removed always stored in RO. What size do I make the storage tubes. Any tips or parts I need to replace? Thanks Dave for your info. Drips a little under tower may be condensation?
    The drip I have on my 250 comes from the top of the membrane canister where the street elbow screws in. I need to pull it out and put new Teflon tape on it.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Schedule 80 (Gray) PVC will have a smaller inside diameter than schedule 40 (white).

Quote Originally Posted by Father & Son View Post
    The drip I have on my 250 comes from the top of the membrane canister where the street elbow screws in. I need to pull it out and put new Teflon tape on it.
    Be careful using teflon tape on plastic parts. It is too easy to over tighten with the teflon and stress the female thread. Use it cautiously or use a good fluid pipe thread dope. However if the female thread is metal, the tape is a good choice. (I was a plumber in a previous life, furnaces not sewer)

+ Reply to Thread