+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CDL or Lapierre 2x6 evaporator?

Default CDL or Lapierre 2x6 evaporator?

Hello All

Anyone using a CDL Professional or a Lapierre Classic 2x6 evaporator? I'm new to the forum and forums in general so please bare with me if there is a thread already out there. I have to upgrade my evaporator, as like I was warned, I keep increasing taps and my evaporator at 12 gph is not keeping up. I added a blower this year but just don't have the time for the 10 hr boils during the week. These two evaporators are in my budget and are available in Ontario where I live and are both listed at 26-27 gph. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

I have the Lapierre Classic 2x6. It has been very good and dependable. I think I was able to run up to 33 GPH with AOF and AUF. I had to make some splash guards for the flue pan because the sap was jumping out of it during the hard boils. I made a hood and preheater and now run up to 38 GPM.

It is nice being able to switch the front pan by rotating it, but it is not as easy as some that only require changing valves. I think you will be happy with the Classic if you get one.
    2013 2.5x4 Flat pan, 92 buckets, 22 gravity - rookie season
    2x6 Lapierre raised flue with AUF and AOF, Siro filter,
    homemade hood and preheater, homemade 4x40 RO
    2021 ~300 taps, buckets and 3/16 tubing gravity
    Tapping same trees as father and grandfather, sugar shack from 1875

Do you like the evaporator that you have now? If so have you thought about getting an RO?
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Just finished this year's season on a CDL 2x6 raised flue. It's well-built. I didn't have a blower which I think you will want. Also, I would go for a system that allows you to reverse flow with valves vs. disconnecting the pan and rotating it. I also didn't like the draw off at the front of the pan. Much more heat in the back of the syrup pan. I had huge draws as the gradient worked itself out which can take over an hour.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Different brand, but my front pan has reversible flow same side draw. I find that when the draw is at the section closest to the flue pan the draws are better and more consistent than when my draw is off the very front section farthest from the flue pan. Later designs are now able to draw back closer to the flue pan and they switch by just turning a valve or 2. I suggest you find one that does that, you will be happier. It may cost a little more but it will be money well spent. Mine reverses by turning 2 valves but the back draw is far better. I have 2 front pans, (a spare) but if I were younger I'd sell those 2 and get 2 with the better design for draw off.
    Drawing off farther back in the pan is better because it is hotter and more consistent in temperature.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Ekrueger do you mind me asking if u built your own AOF or was it something from the manufacturer? Also love to see what you did with the preheater and hood. I'm really leaning towards the Lapierre and they have a sale on now. Going next week to look at both Thanks
    Rob

2017- 75 taps 21 liters of syrup, 20x48 sugar shack
    2018- 150 taps 35 litres syrup 2x6 Lappiere evap, Auf, steamhood
    2019- 200 taps?- 150 on buckets- 50 on 3/16- the 3/16 still in the box due to time and weather this year- 43 liters syrup- tapped for week and a half
    2020- 204 taps- 170 buckets- 34 3/16 gravity tapped March 19th
    Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT SXS on Tracks- sap hauler
    Wife and kids who like sugar’n almost as much as me.

Thanks Dave that's the type of thing I need to be asking. I purchased my last evap out of a catalogue and really regretted not researching more. Is your front pan a custom or made by a manufacture?
    Rob

2019- 200 taps?- 150 on buckets- 50 on 3/16- the 3/16 still in the box due to time and weather this year- 43 liters syrup- tapped for week and a half

Thanks Russ, I'm not in love with it. I spent a year and a half tweeking it and it can be cantankerous to keep a gradient on. I am fascinated by the RO. There's a guy on youtube that made his own out of two water filters, two shallow well jet pumps and a 4"x44" RO. He said he now has added a second RO canister and is getting 50 GPH at 8 to 10 brix. Does this sound reasonable? I have everything except the RO canister and filter so it caught my attention.
    Rob

Sorry for all the posts. Not sure of proper etiquette and wasn't sure if I should reply individually to everyone or just one post..please feel free to fill me in on that. This evaporator is going to have to last me a lot longer than the first one so I want to get it right. I'm going to do another 100 taps on 3/16th gravity next year which will bring me to 250 taps, with 150 on buckets cause the family is nostalgic. I run my own business and though I do love the boiling down part, I work 60 hrs a week so I can't pull all nighters next year and just don't feel good about leaving sap in the tank till the weekend. I read in a different thread that someone suggested maybe bigger than a 2x2 front pan if you are boiling concentrate. Any thoughts on that? I might be able to find enough extra funds to look at a 2x8 but it would be a stretch. I plan on adding an RO and a filter press in the future so just checking. Thanks everyone really appreciate the feedback, you can only find so much on Youtube lol
    Rob

Your etiquette is exceptional. Nothing wrong with your posts. I don't know anything about cooking concentrate, but I'd think a 2x6 and an RO would be great for 350 taps. Often you'll hear the advice to buy a 2x8 instead of a 2x6 and I generally agree with that. They're not much more expensive and they're a little more efficient and have a little better boiling rate. If you ever want to go beyond 350 it might be a good option. Also it'd probably be easier to sell it whenever the time comes. They seem to be a desirable size.

About the pan sizes and boiling concentrate, I've heard people say that a bigger syrup pan is favorable. So on a 2x6 you might go for a 3.5' flue pan and a 2.5' syrup pan instead of the standard 4/2 setup. On a 2x8 you would probably either go with a 2.5 or 3' syrup pan. I think this becomes more important if you're concentrating to higher percentages. I don't know how much difference it makes at 8-10%.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast