+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gal per ta[

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatetreehugger View Post
    That's what I thought but wanted to check. Would that be considered a good ratio?
    Not incredible, but not bad at all. On buckets you can figure .25 gallons per tap as an average. Vacuum should double that to .5, but that's just a rule of thumb number. Some tubing systems in some woods may never get to that amount, and some buckets on big old roadside trees may make more than half a gallon every year consistently. Lots of variables involved.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Not incredible, but not bad at all. On buckets you can figure .25 gallons per tap as an average. Vacuum should double that to .5, but that's just a rule of thumb number. Some tubing systems in some woods may never get to that amount, and some buckets on big old roadside trees may make more than half a gallon every year consistently. Lots of variables involved.
    If that was you that called Ryan....I'll get you called mid-week. You said it about the variables. One big variable is tree size and number of taps. When you have people putting 2 and 3 taps in 10" trees, as well as tapping 5 and 6" trees, they will be lucky to get a pint per tap.

My dads first cousin told of stories back in the 50's of getting 40 gallons from 40 taps over the season.......the trees were all big, large and in the cow pasture.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I can tell you sugar content is a huge variable.....I had low sugar and made .18 gpt. I had plenty of sap just needed sugar

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    If that was you that called Ryan....I'll get you called mid-week. You said it about the variables. One big variable is tree size and number of taps. When you have people putting 2 and 3 taps in 10" trees, as well as tapping 5 and 6" trees, they will be lucky to get a pint per tap.

My dads first cousin told of stories back in the 50's of getting 40 gallons from 40 taps over the season.......the trees were all big, large and in the cow pasture.
    That was me Mark. No hurry. I'll talk to you soon.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    ... I have alot of cluster reds and small trees I should cut but tap instead, these I get about .28 out of.
    Thin them out. Within about 5-10 yrs you'll tap half as many (lower cost and less time) and get about double the yield.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Looks like we ended with 0.20 Finished gallon per tap. Hopefully do better next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    18x60 CDL Drop flue Evaporator
    100 Taps on gravity

I don't recall where, but I recently read the way a large producer does his expansions. He works to get 1/2 gal/tap on what he has before add more taps.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I don't recall where, but I recently read the way a large producer does his expansions. He works to get 1/2 gal/tap on what he has before add more taps.
    That is a good way of thinking.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12