+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade next year

Default Looking to upgrade next year

I'm going to work on an oil tank evaporator for next year and have a shack to put it in. I'm hoping to find a used flue pan and syrup pan for it. Total length 5-6ft. If anyone is looking to sell, let me know. I see lots in the classifieds, but they're a long way from me. I've messaged Thor Inc, but haven't heard back. Anyone know of anyone that sells in New Brunswick? I checked out the site in Moncton, but they only show maple products like syrup and such, no equipment.

I've only seen a few oil tank rigs, but honestly I think you'd be miles ahead just buying a complete used rig. Finding just a used set of pans in good shape isn't real common. If you do find them, they're ideas for good home made arches on here, but they're usually fabbed up from angle iron and sheet metal, ideally stainless. Truly, the foundation of a good setup is a proper arch. A good airflow arrangement with a good ramp, good door, good base stack, room for insulation and fire brick is pretty tough to get out of an oil tank.

I'm not saying you can't do it, and if that's all the budget allows, then have at it, but from all the stuff I've seen, this is an example of where many homemade attempts end up costing a fair amount and really only performing a fraction as well as a manufactured unit.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    I've only seen a few oil tank rigs, but honestly I think you'd be miles ahead just buying a complete used rig. Finding just a used set of pans in good shape isn't real common. If you do find them, they're ideas for good home made arches on here, but they're usually fabbed up from angle iron and sheet metal, ideally stainless. Truly, the foundation of a good setup is a proper arch. A good airflow arrangement with a good ramp, good door, good base stack, room for insulation and fire brick is pretty tough to get out of an oil tank.

I'm not saying you can't do it, and if that's all the budget allows, then have at it, but from all the stuff I've seen, this is an example of where many homemade attempts end up costing a fair amount and really only performing a fraction as well as a manufactured unit.
    If I could find the whole thing used, I would consider it. The issue I keep running into is they're usually so far away, I'd have to get a place to stay after picking it up.lol. I have seen a couple for sale a bit closer but one is just too big for the amount of taps I have and the other is overpriced. I've looked at alot of the oil tank builds and I think many have done excellent jobs. I'm willing to give it a try. All the metal is free, including the tank. The old budget doesn't have much wiggle room.

Wait for the fire sales this spring.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    Wait for the fire sales this spring.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, what are the fire sales?

Most maple equipment companies have early order discounts in April and May taking orders for upcoming year.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

A fire sale is where a person has to unload their equipment very quickly so they can pay the loans they have back to the bank because what they thought would be a profitable business did not come to fruition.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Sometimes you can find a good used one that someone is selling because they are upgrading.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Keep your eyes open. I'm not sure what the budget is but we found a used 2x6 oil rig that is 9 years old but was only used 5 of those years. Hood, stacks, everything for $3300.
    But to your original question....Northwoods stainless and wf mason are others places in Maine you could try.

Is Northwoods Stainless still in business? He dropped off his Facebook page and website he used to have. I got a quote from him last spring for a steam hood and decided to wait. I was get back in touch with him again but can’t find him online anymore so I wonder if he went out of business.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast