+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filling Glass Maple Leafs

Default Filling Glass Maple Leafs

I am filling 500ml glass maple leafs. I am noticing that even after tighten the caps some loosen up again. I always double check each cap a few minutes later. Most are good but one or two per case seem to loosen up. Am I doing something wrong? If I tighten too much I get a spinner and thats no good. Thanks.

Spud

I can't help, I've only used 50ml, 100ml, 250ml and 750ml, no 500ml. None of the other sizes ever loosened up. Who's bottles are they, Leader?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

These are bought from CDL and have the golden caps. I push down on the cap a little and then spin them tight. I'm always afraid of spinning them to much. We did 600 bottles yesterday of different sizes and now my hand is feeling it. I don't like wearing gloves because I will tighten the cap too much not realizing it. I have close to 300 more to fill today and its going to hurt.

Spud

While I don't have the strength I had years ago and arthritis in my thumbs limits my ability to loosen caps I can still tighten them good enough. I also do not wear gloves for the cap but when doing glass I wear one one my other hand to hold the glass. I can not even guess at the torque I get, but I have never had a bad seal on any type cap for glass that has that little plastic part that extends down a little from the basic part of the cap, I tighten as hard as I can. I have had issues with caps that do not have the little, soft extension at the bottom of the cap. So much so that I no longer buy those type bottles.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

After having loose caps and spoiled syrup in some of our glass maple leaf bottles we now heat the bottles to 100 degrees or so before filling once they are full we screw on the caps by hand and stand the bottle vertical for tow or three minutes. Then we re tighten the cap after it has warmed up. It will go another quarter or half turn now that it is warm. Then lay the bottle down to sterilize the inside of the cap with the syrup in the bottle. We bottle with 190 degree syrup and use 200 degree water in heat exchanger or water jacket to heat the syrup to prevent niter development in the syrup as we heat it.
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

Thanks guy's. I gave up on two bottles the other day because I could not get the caps to tighten. I checked them this morning and they are tight. It's a mystery.

Spud

Hot caps soften and expand, and contract as they cool. To tighten a cap, turn it on snug as you put it on and do not try to tighten it more after the cap gets hot, that is breaking the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Hot caps soften and expand, and contract as they cool. To tighten a cap, turn it on snug as you put it on and do not try to tighten it more after the cap gets hot, that is breaking the seal.
    Thats good to know. Thank you.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread