+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: check valves separating

Default check valves separating

I used Leader check valves this year with stubbies and I had my best year production wise. But when disconnecting my lines I found many that had either separated badly from the stubbies or had started to separate. All stubbies where flush with the back of the tap when installed. I got to believe this cost me in overall production due to natural vaccum loss on 3/16 line. Due to bad knees I could not walk lines after the 30 inches of snow we got so this went un-noticed.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Haynes Forest Products Guest

That is the price you pay. We all love good hard freezes and that has its drawbacks. I also suffered from long cold spell with 30 drops off the taps and 14 leaking saddles and it sucks but that is why we walk the woods everyday even if vacuum is down just a tick.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Given the extreme cold we had, people with lots of different types of tubing and spouts had pop-offs. We actually had SS mainline fittings separate. It is just a consequence of the extreme cold and slight thaws creating pressure in the lines.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I walked a section of the woods on Wednesday because our vacuum was down a few inches. I found one hanging tap and almost every stubby and CV had a micro-leak from getting pushed apart by frost action. This is common as the season progresses with the 2-piece CV's.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Are you guys using the Leader stubby with them or another brand?

I am using Leader stubbies. But to me thi is easy fix at point of mfg. You have key slot on check valve so it can only go on one way and than twist check valve to lock in place. The two could not separate.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Are you guys using the Leader stubby with them or another brand?
    We are using both Leader stubbies and Lapierre. The Leader ones tend to separate more which I attribute to them being more tapered than the Lapierre stubbies.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by steve J View Post
    I am using Leader stubbies. But to me thi is easy fix at point of mfg. You have key slot on check valve so it can only go on one way and than twist check valve to lock in place. The two could not separate.
    That idea might backfire. Ice is a powerful force. It can break big boulders apart when there is a small space the allowed water to get in. What chance would a plastic fitting have when locked together? One or both parts could be broken and then you'd need to replace them. Remember, even solid steel heavy duty ball valves can not hold up against the force of ice expansion with a ball closed full of water (or sap).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The adapter center tube is a loose fit in the stubby and allows sap around it into the void. There has to be a better way to design it. I was told they tried to make it fit as many brands as they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The adapter center tube is a loose fit in the stubby and allows sap around it into the void. There has to be a better way to design it. I was told they tried to make it fit as many brands as they could.
    IMO the loose fit around the center tube is necessary to avoid breaking the fingers that hold the ball on the original CV's. Obviously this isn't an issue on the one-piece CV2's. We got some of the clear CV adapters this year and I can't say I've seen as much separation between them and the stubbies but I will have a look when we wash up.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast