+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about building a small RO system

Default Question about building a small RO system

I've been reading some of the great ideas here at MapleTrader about making a hobby sized RO system, but I don't see where I would buy the small RO membranes in canisters. Or if we can't mention retailers, what are the specs or what should I search for on line? Aren't they different than the ones you get for under-the-sink filtration systems sold in hardware stores? I can see that the big professional dealers sell 4 inch by 40 inch canisters, and they say that they are specially designed for maple sap. Thanks.

How much sap do you get in a day and what do you use for evaporator. On my ro i do my sap in batches either over night or when i am at work and am using 5 of the residential 100 gpd membranes recirculating it back to the tank and running at 180 psi after 10 hours this last batch it reduce 65 gallons of sap down to 25 gallons of concentrate which made 2 gallons of syrup.
    These are the membranes and housings I am using.
    100 GPD Membrane reverse osmosis TW30-1812-100
    Pentek SH144376 White RO Membrane Housing
    Home made RO thanks to MapleTrader
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

In this thread is a link to the Mattatuck Maple Madness site where there is a parts list that includes the membranes and the plastic vessels that hold them.

https://mapletrader.com/community/sh...Scale-RO-Build

Using hodorskib's design I have been experimenting with cheaper booster pumps and only one membrane so far, but I have not found a satisfactory pump yet.
    Last edited by Cedar Eater; 04-15-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by 4010 View Post
    How much sap do you get in a day and what do you use for evaporator. On my ro i do my sap in batches either over night or when i am at work and am using 5 of the residential 100 gpd membranes recirculating it back to the tank and running at 180 psi after 10 hours this last batch it reduce 65 gallons of sap down to 25 gallons of concentrate which made 2 gallons of syrup.
    These are the membranes and housings I am using.
    100 GPD Membrane reverse osmosis TW30-1812-100
    Pentek SH144376 White RO Membrane Housing
    What pump? And can that membrane housing really handle that pressure? It says it's only rated for 100 psi.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

We're using a 'carbonator' 1/2 hp procon pump at 150-170 psi into two membranes looped together. We tapped 460 and with vacuum we gather 300 gallons average daily. Our RO takes half the water out, but we run the concentrate line back into the tank until it's 6% from 2%. It takes about 2 hours, then a low pressure rinse with the permeate for an hour.
    Saves us 3 hours of boiling. We boil at about 50-70 gallons of steam an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    What pump? And can that membrane housing really handle that pressure? It says it's only rated for 100 psi.
    You are correct they are only rated at 100 psi. This is my 3rd year on them housings last year is when I started pushing the pressure up to 180 psi and have run them as high as 220 psi for short times with no problems. Two of my ro housings are part # PV2012PME and seam to be built stronger. The pump I am using is a procon 125 gph pump 111A125F11AA2501. It is a risk running them housings up to that pressure but it does increase the flow.
    Home made RO thanks to MapleTrader
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

look at ebay and amazon for membranes and housings. i bought mine there last year and used the mattatuck guys ideas and made my own. totalled 1200 gpd in membranes which is what my pump handles. 600 gpd on each circuit so i use 2 needle valves. I do run it twice but after the second time im roughly 6-8%.

+ Reply to Thread