+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Kitchen

Default Your Kitchen

Wife and I have decided to add a new garage to the house and convert the existing garage to a sugaring kitchen with every intention of having it licensed.

It’s not something were just thinking about, the contractor has been hired, prices negotiated, architect is working on the drawings, permits are being pulled (those that can be right now). It’s a done deal. We have a meeting with the Ag inspector in two weeks and we’re breaking ground the end of May.

We have a layout for the kitchen in mind, something we think will work from a function and convenience standpoint.
    But with every large project there’s always something you wish you’d have done differently.

Now I’m not asking anyone to design for me the perfect kitchen.

What I am asking for is that you describe one thing you would change, or have changed, with yours to make it more functional, practical or convenient.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

We have a certified kitchen in our home. Need more counter space, larger and deeper sink, more fridge space
    Paul & Serena
    Sugaring for over 50 years.
    4000+ taps on vacuum
    4 Airtech Vacuum Pumps
    4 X 12 Force 5 with D&G Pans
    Lapierre 1200 GPH RO

www.paulssugarhouse.com

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Good Power around the walls, storage cabinets for the the every day uses. Easy clean floors with drain. Wide doorways with the ability to use a dolly or carts. Yes have the triple sink but also a nice size one with foot pedals. The fridge is the last thing you need taking up space. You cant eat or drink during the food handling process. That can be out in an other area.

We put too many doors and windows in ours, which cuts down our counter and shelf space.
    Started 2010 with 50 buckets in Victor NY
    1500 sq ft sugarhouse and packaging room
    3000 sq ft visitor center with 20-C kitchen
    2.5' x 10' CDL oil-fired evaporator, CDL RO
    2021: 1500 taps on 3/16 tubing, no mechanical vacuum
    30 beehives
    Producing mead as NYS farm micro-winery

Floor drains. Especially by your equipment your going to be using.
    Faucets by your equipment also. Then when you are finished you can wash that piece right in place. I a firm believer you can never have too many outlets, water sources, drains, countertop, and storage.
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

A good source of hot water. Tankless heater water would be preferable because if you go for a time without using the water it can get so it smells. The water sitting in the water tank can become smelly sitting. We had that happen in ours one time.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Whatever the Ag inspector/health dept wants. This will make inspections incredibly easy if you keep them in a close loop of communication throughout the planning and building process
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Thanks for the tips folks.
    We’ve made a couple of changes based on suggestions, but overall I think we are on the same page.

Another thought.
    Do any of you have a walk-in cooler?

Once I retire from the day job (3 years), we’re looking at expanding by picking up another market. This would mean buying bulk (5-10 barrels, maybe??) and repackaging for retail.

We don’t have the means to store underground (water table is high, lots of clay, no drainage, we don’t perk), yet we do need to at least keep the barrels cool.

I’m not keen on a cooler, my wife thinks it’s necessary…it’s a struggle… and not something we need to decide on or install right away (though I will run a 220 feed to the proposed area now, in case she wins the battle).

Thoughts?
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

I don't have a cooler but it's on my bucket list. We have clients that we repack for but we typically do one drum at a time so there is little need to store one. However, I can see us buying multiple at a time and being able to open them all and having a place to keep them cold. When I do build one, I plan on using a Coolbot. It's cheaper than a commercial unit.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Many small breweries have a small room for kegs that they superinsulate and just have an oversized air conditioner for the room. It isn't a cooler per se, but it will keep beer drinkers thinking it is. I see DaveB's Coolbot is along the same lines.
    A family of maple heads
    Father has over 15,000 taps
    Brother has 2,000 taps
    I'm just the help!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast