+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sap flowingbackwards

Default sap flowingbackwards

What might cause sap to flow backwards in a lateral or mainline

When the sap is still flowing but the mainline freezes the vacuum in the tree will pull the sap back up the lateral and drop. Any sudden change in the vacuum level like when a mechanical releaser dumps will cause it too for the same reason.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

If you are using a vacuum pump, a leak somewhere in your tubing system will also make the sap move backwards.
    Neil

Gravity vacuum from 3/16 will do that too if you have a leak or if a line freezes farther from the tree but not right at the tree yet.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

slope could be a problem
    Ian McDonald
    2000 on vacuum
    1000gph cdl ro
    2.5'x12' intensofire

+ Reply to Thread