+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reading material

Default Reading material

Interested in some good books on sugar Bush management/sustainable forestry. We have about 65 acres of wooded land with 65-75% maple. We had all the ash over 20" in diameter logged out early in 2015 and as I start have to cut standing timber I would like to prune it as I look to tap it all over the next 15-20 years. I've spent some time watching videos from Cornell but I prefer a good book.
    2012 - 12 taps into gallon jugs / 1 gallon syrup
    2013 - 12 taps into gallon jugs / 1 gallon of burnt syrup 🤔
    2014 - 20 taps on buckets / 2.5 gallons of syrup
    2015 - 20 taps on buckets / 3 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 30 taps on buckets / 3.5 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 45 taps on buckets / 6.5 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 70 taps on buckets / discovered mapletrader.com / 40 taps on 3/16 into 300 gallon poly tank / Fuel tank evaporator build / no sleep whatsoever / 22 gallons and counting...

North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual has a chapter devoted to "managing maple trees for syrup production" that seems to be based on sound information.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Yup I think that manual is good. I think Steve Child put something out from Cornell? My friend had it and I read it one time. here's the link https://www.amazon.com/Sugarmakers-C.../dp/1603583971

The link is for Michael Ferral's Book, who when he wrote it was the director at Cornell's research forest near Lake Placid. He has now moved to a new phase of his life in maple, but not with Cornell. I believe he does still do work for Cornell however.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread