+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants some ropey syrup

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Default Who wants some ropey syrup

Well its been quite the season. Have been up at the shack for 6 weeks enjoying the sport of sugar making. This season has been a good one BUT a long one. With the extended season because of 2 days run and 5 day freezing its hard to predict when the sap will run again. This last freeze up gave me time to drain the sweet from the finish pans into 5 gallon buckets and soak the entire evap with vinegar I finally did all the small things that I have wanted to do and today the sap started flowing. Decided to dump the 25 gallons of what I thought would be a good start to the next boil. I opened the first bucket and was getting ready to dump it it when I noticed it didn't look quite right and stuck my finger in it.........That of course was after I triple washed my hands and sanitized them 4 times all the time wearing a hair net. I now have 5-5 gallon buckets of great looking grade A road tar. Sat to long in 40 degree temps oh well will be starting all new and clean>

Good run today? We had our second best run of the year in Green Bay. Still 6" in the woods, gonna be a busy week. Always sucks when dumping syrup in the garden.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Had the same thing 2 weeks ago. Tried to stretch an extra day between "sanitary" boils and didn't quite make it. Wasn't ropey just a little stringy! Pulled the plug because I couldn't get enough to keep pans fresh. Very poor year - only 18 gallons on 230 taps.
    2013 - 25 taps - 2 turkey fryers
    2014 - Taps on Bags
    Home Built 2 x 6 arch, autodrawm sap hauler
    RO - 100 GPH
    2015 - 450 taps on bags.
    2016 - Zero Taps - Moving -
    2017 - 175 taps, Home Built Filter Press
    2018 - 175 taps
    2019 - 200 taps

If its stringy is ropey. This might be my best year yet if the weather turns out as they predict.

You might get rid of it for bear bait. I have a guy by me that says he gets more for bear bait than good syrup.

I have a friend that was the victim of ropey syrup a few years back and wants it for that very reason so it will go to good use. Question is do the bears like it on pancakes or French toast.

I had never experienced ropey syrup before last year. We had a warm stretch between runs and I drained the sweet from the pan into a 5 gal bucket. Before the next boil I went to inspect it by dipping a ladle into it. I watched the sweet run into the ladle as I pushed it down into the bucket but when I lifted it back out the ladle was empty! All the liquid was pulled back out of the ladle as I lifted it up. Not believing my eyes I tried it two or three more times and then ran to The Trader to research my options. I learned that unfortunately, there was no saving it and to get rid of it and thoroughly clean anything the sweet came in contact with. We carefully boiled a little in a small saucepan...I couldn't resist... and saw how that would have been a big mistake to boil in the pan. An interesting experience - one I won't forget!
    Last edited by RC Maple; 04-11-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Yea no fun to boil this stuff! I dumped mine last year.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Just a thought? Is putting this near syrup into non sterilized Pails the leading culprit of it turning Ropey? I cleaned my flue Pan last week and I put it into a Freshly cleaned barrel but I never really gave it a thought that it could turn Ropey in there.maybe I will give it a little more thought in the future.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Warm weather, spoils sap which can make ropey syrup.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast