Chuck,

You pretty much have to have the agitator operating if you want the tank to cool correctly- meaning evenly. Without "stirring", ice forms on the inside of the tank because the sap close to the tank bottom/walls is absorbing all the cold. So the bottom sap would be ice cold and frozen solid and the sap at the top of the tank is still whatever temp. it was when it started- maybe slightly cooler from conduction but not much. Certainly not enough to safely hold the sap/concentrate.

Like Dr. Tim said, these tanks don't work hard or long at all because they are only cooling the already 'cool' liquid down a little bit. They were designed to chill 100 degree cow milk down to thirty- something degrees, hold it at that temp. and do it on a 100 degree day in July. Mine does not run very long and it does not need to run often. And since it's well insulated it will hold sap at whatever temp. you set your tank to even if it's in the teens or single digits in the sugarhouse! Electric usage for keeping sap cool is next to nothing compared to farm use.

Obviously my operation is smaller than Dr. Tim's at the PMRC and I have no numbers to post about man hours saved, etc., etc., but Dr. Tim's "we can RO for a few days" is the game-changing result for my father and I. We boil when we need to once we have enough and we no longer worry about losing it.

Believe me, not worrying about that anymore will be life-changing.

Steve