+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ro tanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    Do you leave the soap soaking in the membrane overnight? Recirculating or just sitting? I have only rinsed it out right after. Is it more effective to let it sit?
    Yes. Soap sits over night. Some times I will check pH in wash tank in the morning and turn wash back on and let it heat up again before rinsing.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Yes. Soap sits over night. Some times I will check pH in wash tank in the morning and turn wash back on and let it heat up again before rinsing.
    I do the same if I'm not trying to get the rinse water through it in freezing temps, sometimes it sits longer depending on my schedule.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Ok, really good to know. Is it just for convenience or is it like the acid wash where the extra time breaks up more of the stuff. I have to do my end-of-year clean, so I might try letting it sit a day.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    I wash mine and go to bed and let the soap sit in it over night. I also don't want to slam cold 40 degree permeate into the membrane that is at 110 degrees. I also don't play the game with different filters. I change them after I wash and rinse and then go with new filters...........................yea I know.
    I think I'm doing what you do. Is the filter game having a dedicated soap filter?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We have a primary permeate tank (1,500 gal) in an upstairs bay and a secondary (3,000 gal) permeate tank on the main level. Both tanks are inside, but not in heated space. We also have another hot permeate tank -- gets filled with cold permeate, but heat loop through evaporator brings the temp up when we're boiling.

At the end of each day that we concentrate we do a soap wash. When the machine shuts down, we start the rinse cycle and walk away. The primary permeate tank drains to empty during the rinse.

The procedure in some areas (especially organic-certified Quebec producers) is to rinse after concentrating, then measure flow rate. If it has dropped a certain amount from the benchmark value, they can use RO soap, otherwise they can not.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Ok, really good to know. Is it just for convenience or is it like the acid wash where the extra time breaks up more of the stuff. I have to do my end-of-year clean, so I might try letting it sit a day.
    Mostly convenience. But I figure it should help. I talked to Clate at MES and he said it shouldn’t hurt the membrane to sit in soap overnight.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

It's mostly for convenience. I'm not sure if more stuff breaks up if it sits longer but I haven't noticed any negative effects from doing so.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    We have a primary permeate tank (1,500 gal) in an upstairs bay and a secondary (3,000 gal) permeate tank on the main level. Both tanks are inside, but not in heated space. We also have another hot permeate tank -- gets filled with cold permeate, but heat loop through evaporator brings the temp up when we're boiling.

At the end of each day that we concentrate we do a soap wash. When the machine shuts down, we start the rinse cycle and walk away. The primary permeate tank drains to empty during the rinse.

The procedure in some areas (especially organic-certified Quebec producers) is to rinse after concentrating, then measure flow rate. If it has dropped a certain amount from the benchmark value, they can use RO soap, otherwise they can not.
    What do you use the secondary and heated permeate for?
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction