+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reaming holes

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by WestfordSugarworks View Post
    Maple trees are pretty resilient, they can lose 3/4 of their crown and still live and eventually thrive years later. I think when it comes to tapping considerations, our primary concern should be tree health. But if you are tapping a 10" tree with a good crown that is growing well, I feel our primary concern then should be OUR ability to sustainably tap, because a tree with these characteristics is going to be pretty darn hard to kill by overtapping. With a healthy tree of good size, what is going to get in our way first is a spent tapping band. I see that first hand in our small bush, where a lot of bigger sugar maples were overtapped for years. They probably COULD have had 2 or 3 taps each, even based on the organic guidelines, but they just are too slow growing and now it's a pain to find good wood to tap. However, these trees are still healthy, growing well, and when I do find good wood to tap, they produce a lot of sap. So my issue is not declining tree health due to overtapping, it's a spent tapping band. So yeah, I think reaming isn't bad as long as it's done right. Just have to account for that labor expense and the cost of a second spout too, will that be worth it in the long run?
    Excellent post. Those very large trees may be "growing well", but because they are so much larger, even if they put on the same volume of wood as a smaller tree, the ring width will be narrower. Therefore, it takes a longer period of time for that tapped area to be completely covered with enough new wood to be tapped again.

One key to sustainable tapping....good growth. Key to good growth...thinning.

A couple of possible solutions to the problem of finding good sound wood in large trees:
    1. Longer droplines
    2. Tapping below the lateral (if you have good vacuum and good spout sanitation practices)

Added later...I suppose option 3 would be to quit tapping them for 50 yrs or so.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-10-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Microbes have the advantage of billions of years of evolution so they can survive in all sorts of conditions. If you want to tap in January and keep getting sap in April there are several things you can do. Reaming is certainly one, but is it the most cost effective option? Why not consider more frequent drop replacement or use CV spouts?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Reaming is certainly one, but is it the most cost effective option?
    Excellent question...ask me again in 2.2 yrs.

Why not consider more frequent drop replacement or use CV spouts?
    I can think of a few reasons, but will bite my tongue (for another 2.3 yrs when I retire).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

stepping over a dollar to pick up a shiny penny is an easy habit to fall into. It is not done because someone is ignoring the dollar... they just never took their eyes off the shiny thing long enough to notice the dull thing.
    other times. it is a case of not letting go of a penny so you can pick up the dollar

Yes the tree tapping band is probably important to consider, I think having the ability to move the lateral lines up or down in future can help with that. Good tree health is also important, and I think I'm going to try thinning instead of tapping to kill a small tree. I may try cvs again However last time I did, when I pulled taps too many were either completely plugged( to the point where not even 26 inches of vacuum can pull vacuum to the spout) and the balls on alot of them we're so slimed up they didn't seat anyway rendering them useless, sure they worked for the first few weeks, but I think they are most important is the end of season, middle of March to April, and if they do what I witnessed then I dunno- failure rate I saw was nearly 30percent. I think the most important thing is to ignore these January warm spells because we all know just because it's warm for a day or two in January you're not going to get a lot of sap because the trees are sleeping. I tapped January 22nd this year I made 450 gallons between then and March between March and April I made about 800, and now my holes are closing the four hundred gallons I made from January to March it's probably a lot less than the syrup I would have made from the middle of March till now, telling me that I did not tap at the ultimate time..... I will not let these January warm spells tease me anymore no tapping till at least the first week of February
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I know a family friend who up until about 4 years ago when we started having these wacky Springs never used to tap until town meeting day and I'll tell you what he makes so much syrup so fast 3800 taps it's sickening. One week he has 200 gallons next week he's up to 800. Now that the weather seems to be bringing spring earlier this year he tapped last week of February. He is very traditional and from what I can say he's right you won't make syrup till you're getting stuck in the mud and that doesn't happen till march!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    ...when I pulled taps too many were either completely plugged( to the point where not even 26 inches of vacuum can pull vacuum to the spout) and the balls on alot of them we're so slimed up they didn't seat anyway rendering them useless, sure they worked for the first few weeks, but I think they are most important is the end of season, middle of March to April, ..
    I've addressed this several times, but it is not what the CV is doing for you at the end of the season that is as important as what it did for you in the first half of the season. The idea is to DELAY microbial contamination of the taphole by reducing backflow contamination of the tapholes through (especially) the early part of the season. Doing so will delay the proliferation of microbes in the taphole, and thus keep the tapholes flowing longer and stronger in the season (starting way back in the middle of the season and carrying through to the end). What is happening is not something you can actually see very well. In any case, eventually ALL spouts, including CVs, will slime up and sap flow will stop. By that time, you're not getting anything from any taphole, CV or not.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I dunno I'll likely try them again sometime but I'm just not convinced yet. A friend of mine tap the same time I did and he's been getting .2 gals of sap the last two weeks per tap on cvs, Ive been getting .5-.75 gals per tap without them, both old bushes not new lines. After doing some reaming this year I am going to pay attention to how thetrees heal. I know Reaming doesn't cost anything(days labor for 1000 taps, or sit around and wonder why not getting sap anymore, and wait for the ground to dry so I can do something else- cost to ream is low to non existent for me)versus check valves at a lot of cost. And from what I've seen reaming nearly renews the holes, especially if you have a shallow taphole and grab a little fresh wood with it.

But you kind of have to wonder why is he only getting .2 gallons per tap sap, and I'm getting two to three times that, he has all cvs, good trees he makes 1600 gals on 3500 taps so......I dunno no rhym or reason to it is there, I mean lots of guys are .5+ without cvs. Makes me scratch my head about them
    Last edited by blissville maples; 04-13-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

How come no 1/4" cvs?
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press