+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wraped it up

Default Wraped it up

This was the longest season for me, late feb to today. The boiling just started smelling funky. Pulled taps most were quitting. Going to rethink the cv sprouts about 10 out of 226 broke coming out, and I had issues during the cold spell as well. Also a bunch were not holding check that I tested when pulled. 2 broke when I put them in and I use a light hammer. I hate to see it end. Have a good summer all.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

Not too far behind you on throwing in the towel. How much syrup did you end up making?
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I'm not throwing in the towel yet here in Loudon. I'm not getting much sap but what I'm getting is still making good syrup. I've been putting out 700+ CV2 spouts for 3 or 4 years now and haven't had a problem with them.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    Not too far behind you on throwing in the towel. How much syrup did you end up making?
    I ended up close to 50 gallons I got 9 5 gallon pails full that need to be fixed as they are all heavy. Most Ive ever made by double. The difference this year was the addition of the sap guzzler.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I'm not throwing in the towel yet here in Loudon. I'm not getting much sap but what I'm getting is still making good syrup. I've been putting out 700+ CV2 spouts for 3 or 4 years now and haven't had a problem with them.
    I have also had them for 3 years, my first year with issues. You never have any pop out/break seal after hard freezes? I must have done something different this year. Boy the weather this week looks classic and I still have 2 foot of snow in the woods. I hope you have a great week.
    44 27'08/71 27'56

Quote Originally Posted by MapleCamp View Post
    I have also had them for 3 years, my first year with issues. You never have any pop out/break seal after hard freezes? I must have done something different this year. Boy the weather this week looks classic and I still have 2 foot of snow in the woods. I hope you have a great week.
    I've had a couple that I had to re-seat early in the season but that happens when you tap frozen trees. I also had to push the drop line on a little farther on some of them. I didn't have any of them loosen or pop apart like a lot of other producers did.

It looks like we aren't going to get any freezes after Thursday and the sap flows have been pretty weak. I'm going to do my last boil tomorrow night and finish the evaporator Tuesday night. I could probably get a little more sap on Tuesday and Wednesday but I'm going to let the trees keep that.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread