+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of season final boil

Post End of season final boil

Hey everyone,

Wondering what you all do to finish off the season with the remaining sap and sweet in the pans. Do you draw it all off and finish on something else ? Looking for something easier than boiling down 20 gallons in my stove.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

With a raised flue setup you can drain the flue pan and fill it with water then add your sweet manually through the front pan.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

I have a finisher, once I have condensed as much as I dare in the evaporator, I pump it over to the finisher and boil the rest of the way on that. At the same time I fill both pans with permeate and do a boil in that. Then I drain the flue pan and start the flue pan washer while I continue boiling permeate in the front. After the flue pan is finished (about 60-90 minutes) I drain it, then I use vinegar in the front pan. I used to drain the syrup pan, then add vinegar, I think this time I'll leave permeate in the back pan and the front then just add a gallon of vinegar with the permeate in the front and boil it a while, then let it set overnight.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I drain my flue pan and fill it with water. I set my finisher pan on top of my front pan and fill it with the sweet from the flue pan. My finisher pan has a spigot on it so I have that drain into one float box while I draw off through the other one. When all of the sweet is drained out of the finisher pan I shut down the evaporator and and once it's cooled I put the contents back into my finisher pan and finish it to syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by mol1jb View Post
    With a raised flue setup you can drain the flue pan and fill it with water then add your sweet manually through the front pan.
    That's what I do. I try to be ready with my pan cleaner at that point as well and clean the flue pan at the same time as I'm finishing the syrup in the front pan.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by mol1jb View Post
    Just did that tonight myself. Never did it before and it seemed to work out pretty good. The flue pan drainings I had in buckets, but filled a couple stock pots and got them boiling on propane. This way when I added to the syrup pan it was already hot. I was able to make a few draws during the process, then once everything was in the front pan, I brought it to about 6 1/2º before letting the fire die out. Once the firebox was cool enough, I drained the front pan and replaced it with permeate. During the whole process, which took just under three hours, I boiled off about 30-35 gallons of permeate in my flue pan.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

We push the final sap/syrup through with water.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread