+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinegar for pan cleaning

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Time is your friend so when your done with the days cooking drain pan in place. If the sand and scale is a all over the bottom use a shop vac to suck it all out. For really heavey burnt niter dump in the full strength Vinegar until the bottom is about a 1/4 full and go to bed. Next day add water above the side scum level and let sit while you collect. Come back drain into buckets to reuse and scrub it down.

On a average we run 4000 gallons of sap and then soak pans for 2 days. I usually have about a 3/4 to 1" layer of loose sand and niter flakes in my finial finish pan that only a shop vac will clean out if time is a factor. This year with a lot of down time I just fill up to the lip of the pan dump in 10 gallons and let it sit and scrape with metal spatula. SORRY I should have said Burnish the bottom of the pan.

My 2 cents. Best price for vinegar,Big Lots

used 1/2 gallon of white vinegar in my 2x2 syrup pan, along with about three gallons of water. never heated it, just let it sit for a week. today i was going to heat & scrub, but the mixture was frozen, and all of the niter had lifted from the pan surface. the pan is shiny clean. when the temp warms up, i'll drain and rinse, ready for next year.
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12