+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar for pan cleaning

Default Vinegar for pan cleaning

I have always poured several gallons of vinegar into my pan to clean it. Recently I have seen some say they use vinegar and water to clean pan. Can you tell me what ratio your using? As it appears I could save some money.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

I have had good results with a 50/50 ratio. If it is really caked on I let it soak over night.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

In my syrup pan which is 3' x 3', I just use 1 gal of white vinegar. Then I heat it to luke warm using a weed burner torch on the bottom, from underneath. Then I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, followed by using a brush to see if it has loosened. If yes, brush, then flush and triple rinse. If no, I reheat and wait again. If 2 heat cycles don't do it, I let it set over night, then by morning it has always been loose. The only water I use is when I flush the sweet into my draw tank. I use as little as possible because when I pump that tank back into the pan after it is clean I'll need to evaporate it away. To chase the sweet, I likely use 2-3 qts of hot permeate and then I have a squeegee to move it thru the channels. Then I pour in the 1 gal of vinegar. After the bottom is clean, I address the sides of the partitions, while the vinegar is still in the pan, since that is up on the sides it comes off easier. Then it's all dumped, and flushed out completely using hot permeate (I have a tankless heater, with a potable water hose on it, I just use a spray nozzle and make sure I get all surfaces 3x. I buy my vinegar at Walmart for $2.50 a gal. or at Family Dollar for about the same.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I think I used 4 gallons in my 2x6 completely filled. Put some heat under it till it got up to 140 and let it sit for a day or so. Came out pissah
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:47 AM.

We have been using vinegar for about 4 years now. We clean several times during the season using the 2x6...about every 15 gallons. We use about 4 gallons of vinegar in the front pan and then add water to bring the fluid above the sugar line. Then we bring it to a rolling boil for about 10-15 minutes. We usually use about 2 gallons in the back pan with water to the sugar line. This system has worked great. We will rinse out anything loose prior to adding the vinegar. We draw the front pan off into a 5 gallon bucket to re-use the next time and do this throughout the season. We will flush the pans after with water (permeate if we have extra) and then fill and bring that to a boil. Then a quick rinse while draining.

I don't recall who, but one of the larger posters on here, mentioned using a flat piece of copper for scraping. We are going to give that a try at the end of the year if we need to scrape. Normally a plastic brush will get everything except maybe a couple 1/2" x 1/2" areas and we have used a green pad in the those areas. I'm interested to see how the copper works.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

I just got finished with end of year cleaning and only use white vinegar. The mixture that I used was filled my pans with water then added 1 gallon of white vinegar, brought to a good boil, waited for it to cool to the point that I could put my hands in it but it was still hot and wiped everything clean. The only place that I needed elbow grease was in the corners and edges other than that everything just wiped clean.

I do have to add a disclaimer, I clean my pans every other week during the season(and sometimes more often) so they are never too dirty.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 04-07-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I don't use vinegar in my flue pan, I have a flue pan washer for that and it just uses permeate. On my next cleaning on my front pan I might try minehart's method to compare how it does.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We made a copper scraper this season based on the info VT_K9 mentioned. The only concern is why we didn't do it years ago. Works very well with no adverse affects to the pan. We were a bit nervous to make that first scrape but it has since saved us a lot of time and elbow grease.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

Soaking pans now. 3 x 10 pans full of water with 6 gallons of walmart white vinegar added. also steamaway is full of water and 3 gallons of vinegar too. bring to simmer several times and wait for it to work. My pans have a lot of thin scale and brown color.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 04-07-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast