+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pricing 2018

Default Pricing 2018

OK now that people want to buy it what should I charge per quart per gallon I’m a hobby producer I’ve seen court to go for $15-$25 gallons go from $50-$75 what should I charge
    Smoky lake full pint on my leader half pint arch
    110 taps on 3/16 vacuum tubing
    Homemade RO sapinator

Set your own prices, we can't tell you.
    As far as pricing goes my thought is to make a good product and be proud of it. My prices are in the middle locally and my sales are good. There are local producers who sell for less and those who sell for more. I suggest you get an idea of what your local, at the sugarhouse prices are and then go somewhere in the middle. I don't think it a good practice to try to meet the local competition on price, that just starts a bidding war which the hobby producer can little afford to participate in. Much of it will also depend on what type of customers you are serving, if your area is totally rural with little tourist trade, the prices will be lower, if your area either has a strong tourist trade or you are closer to a larger metropolitan area, the prices go up.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Perfect advice. That's exactly what I did. Check around and put it in the middle. Most have a price on there website
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Quote Originally Posted by sap retreiver View Post
    Perfect advice. That's exactly what I did. Check around and put it in the middle. Most have a price on there website
    As are mine. My website prices are the same as my sugarhouse prices.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you have the best syrup in the area and can prove it charge a little more. If your not sure where your syrup stands? Enter it in some competitions and get the results. Continue to improve your products and taste each batch you put into containers. We are selling flavor you want it to be your best. They will pay for it.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

You definitely don't want to be the low guy. It's too much work.

carry the same prices as the other producers in your area. Most are not shopping price they are shopping for an experience first, then they come back and don't look at price. Don't be high, don't be low.
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

Give samples, it sells itself.
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

+ Reply to Thread