+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building a new evaporator

Default Building a new evaporator

Hi there, I’m new at this game and I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, but I haven’t seen it yet. I’m just wrapping up my 2nd year. This year we tapped 20 trees and boiled it off using various methods to see which one I preferred. Next year I’d like to tap 30-40 trees and need to upgrade my evaporator.
    My plan is to build a wood fire evaporator that will fit a 16x40 stainless steel pan. I have a propane burner that has 3 30,000 btu burners. I’d like to be able to use the pan on both.
    My question is, will the 3 burner stove produce enough heat to be efficient, or should I just stick to the wood fire evaporator.
    I like the convenience of the propane evaporator and was thinking of using it for smaller batches.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

I guess it depends if you have a plentyfull amount of firewood on hand. I personally would much rather burn wood than propane. But propane can certainly be more convenient at times, with a cost.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I agree. For smaller runs just boil shorter or collect for another day then boil. I do like your idea of a longer pan as it will be more efficient than a 2x3 pan.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    I guess it depends if you have a plentyfull amount of firewood on hand. I personally would much rather burn wood than propane. But propane can certainly be more convenient at times, with a cost.
    I've worked on larger boilers that had "dual fuel" capabilities. You could switch from gas to oil just by inserting the oil nozzle, they worked great both ways. So why couldn't you have a regular wood fire box but add some hardware so that you could just slide in a rack holding propane burners? A little forward planning and you could add that gas option anytime later. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Haynes Forest Products Guest

You can there are many arches that have a door with the oil gun shooting into it. My first real set of pans was wood fired and we converted when oil was cheaper than wood. pulled the door bolted a plate on with the gun in it. Didn't know any better at the time so we just winged it and it worked great for 8 years.

+ Reply to Thread