+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-drilling holes????????

Default Re-drilling holes????????

I tapped my trees on the 1st and 2nd of March, today is the 6th of April. Season is off to a slow and strange start. I've never seen a season like this before. I'm wondering about holes closing up and the need to re-drill. If so do I drill new holes or re-drill the old holes ?? Will being drill for 4+ weeks effect much, if anything?????????
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

Brad - I am 20 miles south of you in the Tony area, I tapped on March 11th. It has been a tough year to say the least.
    Everything that I have read or heard indicates that re-drilling or moving taps to a new hole in-season is not advisable.
    To re-drill an existing hole gains minimal results and adding new tap holes is not good for the health of the tree.
    It has been so cold, I wouldn't think there would be much bacteria to contend with.
    I'm hoping once it warms up mid-next week (maybe) that we get a couple more sap runs.
    Scott Bingham
    Smoky Lake 2x5 Corsair Arch and Hybrid Pro Pan
    Smoky Lake 3 Bank Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Steam Bottler
    100+ Taps
    Pug 4x4 Sap & Wood Hauler

Good question Brad--one I have been thinking about myself, but do not have the answer to. Also wondering if the cold conditions slow the healing process, if anyone can answer that. We tapped on march 10th and between the cold and rodent damaged (65 out of 80 so far) bags our sap take is low. I was thinking about tapping different trees just in case they are healing by the next run.

[QUOTE=sticky face; I was thinking about tapping different trees just in case they are healing by the next run.[/QUOTE]

I'm moving my non performing bags to new trees this weekend. Granted there are only about 20 of them, can't think it would hurt to roll the dice on a different tree. Shouldn't need to touch my 3/16" lines.

Brad - I know you got another couple hundred+ trees on your bush that could be tapped.

I was thinking of the same thing with it being my 2nd year tapping NE of Merrill. I was thinking of tapping a couple new trees this weekend incase some of my 17 taps start drying up. I have only made a Gallon of Syrup so far with most of the sap only coming from a few of the 17 trees that get a lot of sun. I would only re-tap a tree if it is big enough to support having 2 taps if you are worried about them drying up.

Bryan

I'm far to the southeast of you and my season is over. Only because I made as much syrup as I wanted. I tapped the 17th of Feb and pulled my taps after seven weeks. Today I had sapcicles hanging from one of the tap holes. Perhaps just wait it out a little longer.
    2016-First year
    17 Taps
    Block arch & steam pans
    About 1 1/2 gallons
    2017-20 taps
    About 3 gallons
    2018-13 taps
    Same Block arch & steam pans (modified arch & pans)
    2019-12 taps (keep losing trees)
    2020-Brand new Smokey Lake StarCat evaporator, about 15 taps.
    43.62N 87.78W

Personally I wouldn't consider it unless we start getting sap weather again and you're not getting anything. With the weather as cold as it's been, I don't think your taps will have dried up yet. That said, these stretched out seasons with 5-10 day stretches of weather that's either too warm or too cold is the main reason that I switched to vacuum. I got tired of trying to guess when to tap and often getting it wrong.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Well I guess I'll just leave things as they are. This is the great thing about this web site, if you have a question someone has an answer. Let's hope that the season starts soon.
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

Brad,
    Good to see your still in the syrup making business! Keep those orange tractors shined up too. I would also discourage you from redrilling. I tried it once and really did not see any benefits. Yes strange season with lots of cold weather. I am no where near you but feel the concerns. We are done for the year with about 2/3 crop produced. Seemed to be the longest season ever recorded!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast