+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Posting the results of reaming - LONG

Default Posting the results of reaming - LONG

I'll give lots of information and numbers hear, so read on if you are interested. We have never reamed before, but the conditions seemed to warrant it this spring. We are southern Vermont.

We have 2287 taps total. 1745 are on 3/16 lines going into 3 separate 3/4" mainlines of around 600 taps each. Our average length of lateral is 512 feet, with 21.1 taps per lateral. Most situations achieve at least 20' of vertical drop after the last tap with a few exceptions with a tap close to the mainline. This system as performed well in varying stages of completions since 2014. The majority of the laterals are new in 2016, with all new taps for 2018.

The balance of our taps 472 buckets (mostly 5/16" aluminum spouts) and 70 on 3/16" directly into our holding tank at the house. We tapped out all lines on Feb. 14, and the buckets between the 17th and 19th. Between Feb. 16 and Feb 29 we collected a total of 17850 gallons of sap or 7.8 gallons/tap. The distribution is fairly consistent between buckets and lines with lines giving about 30% more sap/tap. There are often days when the buckets run and lines don't due to frozen mainline. Sap sugar in buckets is often a point or two higher than lines. There is a lot to be said for buckets. We learn quickly which trees are always the champions.

This collection had all been on bare ground. Then the snows and cold came. Sap did not run in any appreciable amount except a small run on March 6 and March 12. By the time things opened up again on March 23, we had had more than 5' of snowfall and temperatures just below zero. During that stretch of no sap, the lines would try to run when the sun came out, but the mainline stayed frozen solid. We have some stretches of dense shade in a hemlock area. The lines filled completely and often we could see sap and junk backing up to the tap holes. I believe that this prematurely caused the holes to begin closing. The buckets nearly filled during this two week period, with some going over. However, they never thawed enough to be collected. The 70 taps (two lines) coming into our main tank at the house had many small runs during that period with no ice restriction.

On March 23 the weather warmed enough for a run. This chart shows buckets and lines over the next time period (sap/tap in parentheses) This ignores the sap going directly into the tank at the house since we cannot measure that easily. The rounded numbers are obviously off a few percent. We had no freezing temperature since the night of March 23, but the buckets went more and more as the weather warmed By March 28 we realized that something was wrong with the lines and made the choice to ream. On March 29 100 taps were reamed (remove tap, drill same hole, replace) and on March 30 the balance were done. The results were immediate. No freeze until the night of 3/30. Zero only indicates no collection, not necessarily no sap available.

Buckets 3/16" lines
    3/23 400 (.84) 0
    3/25 300 (.63) 240 (.13)
    3/26 300 (.63) 0
    3/27 400 (.84) 240 (.13)
    3/28 480 (1.01) 180 (.10)
    3/29 420 (.89) 2000 (1.15)
    3/30 0 1900 (1.09)
    3/31 560 (1.19) 2000 (1.15)
    4/1 0 1600 (.92)
    4/2 440 (.93) 2000 (1.15)
    4/3 330 (.70) 0
    4/4 0 2400 (1.38)
    4/10 0 800
    4/11 900
    4/12 1700
    4/13 1200
    4/14 1200
    4/17 1200
    4/18 1300
    4/19 1400
    4/20 1200
    4/21 1000
    4/23 900
    4/24 180

Bucket total for the season - 6330 (13.4 gallons per tap)
    Line total for the season - 43110 (23.8 gallons per tap)
    Line totals after reaming - 25540 (14.1 gallons per tap)
    Buckets and lines together - 49440 (21.62 gallons per tap) - 801 gallons of syrup at 62:1

The buckets are our baseline. This was obviously a good run for them in comparison to previous years. We wish we had reamed several days sooner. Things are frozen up hard again. I cannot speak to what will happen. I have read much that reaming is a short-lived benefit. The unusually cold conditions make us hopeful that the runs will continue. Either way, we have benefitted this year. The reaming was done in 18 hours by one energetic 15 year old, so about 100 taps per hour. A very good cost/benefit!

I do not know what affects this may have on tap-hole closure and healing. Did we transfer anything harmful from tree to tree? We will watch things closely to try to make this assessment on tree health. I do not plan to do this as normal practice by any means.

Edit: (see updated numbers) The buckets quit running altogether and were taken down on 4/11. Even the 20 or so that had been reamed experimentally on 3/29 had stopped running. All sap from that date onward is only from the 3/16" lines. It was almost like having two separate seasons. Taps were pulled on 4/23 and 4/24. We'll report back on hole closure at some point in the future. All of this was boiled down on a 3x12 Hurricane with a piggyback - No RO! We're tired.
    Last edited by tuolumne; 04-25-2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Updated numbers 4/25/2018

Interesting. I'm curious as to your drop history... have any been replaced at any point since the tubing was installed?

It seems like you are making a good case for CV spouts....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Our conditions in Central New York were pretty similar, my 3/16 lines froze solid and didn't run due to hemlock coverage and my buckets overflowed on days that saw temperatures above freezing for 3-4 hours tops but with signicant sunshine. I run clear CV spouts and didn't notice closure on any holes so not sure if that's what the difference might have been.

We tapped in feb 23/24 up here (northern Ontario by Sault Ste. Marie), weather looked great. Then it turned to crap in a hurry. It is just now starting to get to what we need. Should I be worried my tapholes are going to heal on me??....FYI, the bush was setup this year on 3/16th. So all new tubing and fittings....

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

No, with new tubing and tapholes only 6 wks old you should be fine.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for the quick reply Dr. Tim...much appreciated!!

Update: We are still boiling and the sap is still flowing fairly well. We've taken another 5400 gallons of sap on April 10-12. This is all from the lines that were reamed. The buckets dried up and we pulled them all on the 11th. Even the few dozen buckets that we reamed to experiment dried up with the rest. This makes 10.3 gallons of sap per tap since the reaming when the holes had more or less stopped.

Final numbers are posted in the original.

Tuolumne-
    I completely agree with you my best Sugarbush was running 2 to 3 gallons per tap prior to that lengthy March freeze up, after the freeze up I was expecting it to get better however it got worse down to less than a gallon per cat per day somedays half a gallon per tap. I decided to ream the holes up there and it made a world of difference immediately like you say.

It really doesn't take that long to do because you don't really have to spend time locating Goodwood or wrestling to get drop off t. However I did notice it didn't last too long maybe a week and a half. It makes me wonder about drilling three-quarters of the whole early and bring the rest later in season.

When I was reading I found a tree that I've missed and never put a drop against this was the last week of March so I added a completely new drop to this tree upon pulling taps with vac on, 95% of holes were dry however this tree was pushing sap and gas out as if it was February.

I don't think I am going to ever get excited about these January runs because you're not really getting a lot of volume and I think you're hurting your production in the end of season, on years like this one anyways
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    I decided to ream the holes up there and it made a world of difference immediately like you say.

It really doesn't take that long to do because you don't really have to spend time locating Goodwood or wrestling to get drop off t. However I did notice it didn't last too long maybe a week and a half. It makes me wonder about drilling three-quarters of the whole early and bring the rest later in season.
    Bliss....when you say "ream", did you go with a bigger bit, go deeper into the taphole, or both? Did you use a new spout after reaming or just pull the spout, ream, and put the same spout back in? Since we're doing research on this, more detail helps us to understand what others are trying and interpret their results.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread