+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lot numbers

Default Lot numbers

What are folks using to put lot numbers on their retail containers?

I was thinking a price gun but I want to be able to have ascending numbers like 1800001, 1800002, 1800003....... and so on.

Any help is apprechiated

Each time I bottle, I write the date as ddmmyy on the back of the bottle, with a paint pen made by Dykem Co.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02598662

I try to write as small as I can...about 3/8" tall numbers. The paint is permanent and withstands temps up beyond the 185 I bottle at.
    Makes it easy to track as I keep a boil and bottling log ea year, but then I'm only bottling 2-3 gallons at a time...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I use a simple code for the year and batch number, and write it on the lid in with a wash-off marker.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

We use a 2 line price gun. We then put best by labels in it which we use the 1st line for our lot # and the second for our best by date. The lot # is the same for all the syrup that is canned for that batch. We put a best by date of 18 months after canning.

Quote Originally Posted by upsmapleman View Post
    We use a 2 line price gun. We then put best by labels in it which we use the 1st line for our lot # and the second for our best by date. The lot # is the same for all the syrup that is canned for that batch. We put a best by date of 18 months after canning.
    So I am over thinking this my wanting each retail container to have a individual #? Where as each batch bottled as a whole uses the same number?

I now have serial numbered labels that go on each container. Then as I pack in retail containers the starting and ending label number for each batch is recorded in my log book. If you get labels printed professionally, it costs very little extra to have them print serialized numbers on the labels.
    Before I had these labels I used a simple code that I printed on labels using a label price gun. Then I recorded that batch and what barrel it came from in my log book. The code for today would have been 040581 the first 04 is april, 05 is the day 8 is the last digit of the year and 1 is the first batch processed on April 5, 2018. If I packed a second batch into a barrel that day, it would end in 2 and so forth. Each batch coming off the finisher has the same date code, only when it changes in any way does it get a new number. For example, I get a batch ready in the finisher, I pack 1 barrel and then fill 75 retail bottles or jugs, they all get that number. Then, before the finisher is empty I need to pump syrup from the draw off tank to the finisher, that gets a new number, if that all occurs in the same day, only the ending 1 changes to a 2, but only if that is also gotten ready to put into a barrel or retail containers the same day, otherwise it gets a whole new date code.
    I still use this system, but only in my log book, where I have a "from" column, that is the date code, then I log the serial number range for that batch and I record the grade, showing which grade and that ends with the % light transmission according to my Hanna Checker. The retail containers no longer get the date code. If a question were to ever come up, I check the serial number and then go to my log book for the info. I recently started also putting the light transmission on my price stickers. For example a price might read $27.0042, meaning it sells for $27 and the hanna Checker said it has 42% light transmission. When I print them the 00 in that example is displayed smaller than the other numbers. I have had no people who have had issues with either method, but it helps me. I do not tell them what the extra info means.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You can get sequential batch code numbers from places like syruplabels.com but this is overkill. Most people have a simple batch code for each day's production.

We use a 2-line pricing gun with the top line to indicate the date it was re-packaged. If empty it means it was filled in the sugar camp. The 2nd line is the date the syrup was made.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I was told by my inspector that the lot # would be the same for every bottle in that batch. I need to keep records as to what syrup I used for that batch. Say barrell #25 made march 3rd and # 40 made march 10th. If there is a problem they would not only inspect that lot # but all syrup you made on those days to see if there was a problem there. I have a system where I put the grade,what batch it is, and the date bottled. Example A for grade say 5 because it is the 5th time I've canned amber this year and then 040518 so mine would would be A5040518. I then put that sticker in my records with a record of the barrells I used in that batch. For best by I use 18 months from canning. I looked at several of the packer labels and most show 3 years.

All great info and thank you for responding

I guess I was over thinking it

I write a 3 or 4 digit date code on the bottom of each jug with a sharpie on the day that it was jugged up. Today's batch would have 405 on the bottom with 4 for April and 05 for the day. If I jug something up in October the number will start with 10 followed by the day.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast