+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pans

Default Pans

Am fairly new to the maple syrup production . I have a homemade evaporator it is made out an oil drum works well, has two pans the front one is 2ft x 1ft the back is 2ft x 3ft they are stainless steel with no baffles, was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference would be if my back pan had those channels in it would it boil off more sap then my regular pan if so what would be the difference. Right now I can get about 10 gal an hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlee View Post
    Am fairly new to the maple syrup production . I have a homemade evaporator it is made out an oil drum works well, has two pans the front one is 2ft x 1ft the back is 2ft x 3ft they are stainless steel with no baffles, was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference would be if my back pan had those channels in it would it boil off more sap then my regular pan if so what would be the difference. Right now I can get about 10 gal an hr.
    Someone with more experience will chime in soon, but I would bet that with a pan with flues you could boost your evap rate to 15 or maybe 20 gph. A blower would certainly help too. maybe check out the hybrid pans from Smoky Lake.

Thanks for the info do you mean a blower on the stove. I like the sound of 20 gph I have about 130 taps and was hoping to cut down on the boiling time it takes a lot of wood lol.

Flues and Channels are 2 different things. Channels or baffles do not increase your surface area thus they will not increase your boiling rate. They allow you to make syrup in a continueos flow, meaning you add sap on one end and draw off syrup at the other. Flues on the other hand, which is when then bottom of the pan is not flat but goes up and down which creates a greater surface area and thus higher boiling rate. Channels are relatively easy to add but flues are not. Typically flues need to be part of the initial pan design and build.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

I think you guys are talking about different things. No, channels or dividers in the pan won't increase your evaporation rate. Flues, which replace the flat bottom of your pan with dropped or raised corrugations and dramatically increase the amount of surface area of your pan which is exposed to the flame, will greatly improve both your evaporation rate and fuel efficiency.. Unfortunately they aren't cheap or easy to add.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Haynes Forest Products Guest

OH heck lets get a little more deep into the technicality of the maple world.

Baffles are what create a channel.

A releaser is a mechanical device that holds and then RELEASES the sap in a controlled manner.

A sure flow pump is not a releaser.

The flue pan is the one closest to the Flue pipe hence its name.

The word Flue as in raised Flue verses drop Flue most likely came about because the pan got its name being closest to the Flue stack/pipe. So now we call the areas that extends down as Flues. OR up depending on how you look at it. I wonder are the Flues the things that go up or the ones that go down PCCYPJGBITH

Please Chuck Could You Please Just Go Back In The House
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 04-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Chuck, you forgot about explaining gradient. Just kidding.

If I get on that rant you wont see me back until 2020

Ok thanks for the info guys you have answered my thoughts will just stick with my flat pan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast