+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North East Ohio 2018 Wrap-Up

Default North East Ohio 2018 Wrap-Up

2018 has been an interesting season. With some setting records, others seeing average results, and some with very low numbers. At 26½ gallons on 205 taps, so far I've made more syrup than in 2013, my record year. Sugar was about 1.6-1.7% which is a tad higher than the norm for me.
    Post your results and comments - maybe someone will be able to make some sense out of this crazy season. It would be interesting to compare notes and try to figure out if location or some other factor(s) played out this season.

I'm seriously thinking about looking into an air injection system for next season. Too much sand and dark syrup this year for me.

** I also think there may be one more boil coming up this week, but will close down my sugar house this weekend if nothing runs between now and then. Really like the boiling part----- wood cutting and splitting-----not so much fun anymore.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Default Hoping for one more boil

So far 60 gallons from around 300 taps. Thought I smelled something two batches ago and it was buddy but the last batch was clearest we have made so far.

Sand was terrible and sugar content 1.5, prior years over 2.

Was very impressed with a lunchbox vacuum releaser bought last minute for some new woods we tapped.

+ Reply to Thread