+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4x8 sheet enough?

Default 4x8 sheet enough?

So after a year on a turkey fryer and one on a barrel ive decided its time to build an actual arch. I can get all the 2x2x1/8 angle I need from work for free, I do have to buy the sheet metal unfortunately. I was able to find a welding shop that would get me a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge for $65. So is a 4x8 sheet going to be enough metal to build a 2x4 evaporator? Trying to do some math and I think its gonna be close... anyone built one that can enlighten me?
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

just draw out a scale pattern of what the design will be and determine if you need more. If I were doing it, I'd just make up a cut list for all of the tin pieces and have them cut. That would maybe run $10-20 more but on their shear they will all have nice unrippled edges and the sizes will be right, especially if they have an 8' shear. Most bigger shops do. (for a 2x4 arch the longest single piece will be somewhere around 5' long, figuring for the 4' pan or pan combination plus the base stack at the back.)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Raptor your combining two different subjects in your post. You transitioned from arch to evaporator. Right off hand 4x8 wont get you the arch but it will get you the pan. I think as stated do some pencil work and you will answer your own question. Might sound silly but a roll of duct tape, a big cardboard box along with a utility and square edge and you will answer most of your questions. If you do a nice straight mock up your cut list will be a snap.

I'm going to buy a pan because I can't weld stainless. I only have a small flux core welder. I'm building the firebox/arch myself. I was just trying to see if one would be enough so they can order it today. Should have planned better but I'm a procrastinator unfortunately.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I would believe you could get the arch out of it keeping in mind that you wont be throwing used telephone poles in as firewood. The fire box will take the most and if yoy plan it right you will have a minimal amount of cuts..............if you plan it right.

Don't get too stuck on stainless and welding it. A regular steel pan gets a coating on the inside from the syrup and on the outside from the fire. Rust is not a problem. You're boiling so everything is sanitary. There has been a lot of excellent syrup made in steel pans.

Kind of reminds me stories I have heard about making a moonshine still. It took exactly one 4 x 8 sheet of copper to make a complete still. No I don't have the pattern for one!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread