+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evaporator care and cleaning question

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I usually power wash and scrape my bottom to get the black crud off.
    You gotta do what you gotta do.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

OK so the hot water worked really well on the outside. I will clean the inside of the pans this week. I noticed that there is a gap between the syrup pan and the flue pan. What is suppose to fill this gap? I can bring the flue pan forward or push the syrup pan back but that just relocates the gap. Help! LOL Hope everyone had a great Easter! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by goldnut View Post
    OK so the hot water worked really well on the outside. I will clean the inside of the pans this week. I noticed that there is a gap between the syrup pan and the flue pan. What is suppose to fill this gap? I can bring the flue pan forward or push the syrup pan back but that just relocates the gap. Help! LOL Hope everyone had a great Easter! Ken
    Feel free to ask away. This a great forum that has helped us a lot. I have the same size rig and it takes a Pan gasket between the flue pan and syrup pan. The first year we bought the right one and it was way too thick. You just need it thick enough to stop the flame and smoke from coming out.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

VT, Are you talking about a gasket that goes between the pans and arch? Or is there one that goes between the pans. It doesnt seem right to me that I can move the pans a couple inches in the arch. Im just a bit confused right now. Thanks for your patience. Ken

Goldnut, there is a gasket that will go between the pans. It's a couple inches thick and made out of ceramic insulation material. This will close up the gap between the pans. There is also a flat gasket that will around the arch to help seal between the pan and arch. Leader has all of the manuals online as well.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Now I understand! Thanks for the help. Stay tuned for more questions! LOL

We use the rope type gasket between the arch and pans. Between the front and rear pans (also along the back of the rear pan) we us the ceramic blanket type insulation (2" wide). We use a 1/4" rod to help support it. It gets replaced once or twice during the year if it is ruined while cleaning.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnut View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! How about a website question? Is it normal for the last post on a thread to go to the top of the page? I feel like im reading a book from the bottom to the top. Maybe I need to change a setting?
    To change that just go into your settings. Under general settings, Thread display just click on which way you want it. You have 4 choices. If not sure, click on each, one at a time to find the one you prefer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave! Got it changed to my preference. Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12