+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filling barrels

Default Filling barrels

I am boiling now about 10 gallons of syrup off an hour since I got an RO. I am just wondering what I should be doing to filter and barrel it. I am wondering if I filter press it as it comes of the cooker into a 55 gallon barrel that by the time I have it full, about 5 hours that the barrel will not be hot enough(180 degrees). What would other people do?

Canning tank, water jacketed heater, fill a barrel all at once
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have the same situation as far as not always filling a drum from start to finish. Now they do make smaller drums for your situation. If your doing it for your own use go with smaller drums. I hot pack into 55 gal drums and I will layer it. If you fill a drum thru the small hole and when done pull the filler pipe out and cap it your going to have sanitary conditions. If you only fill 1/2 way your still going to have sanitary conditions. If when you have enough to fill it the rest of the way the hot syrup is going into a sanitary drum of syrup and the new hot syrup will be just fine and will sanitize the empty space as it fills it up. The cold syrup in the bottom 1/2 of the tank isnt going to miraculously become a cesspool off moldy syrup. you will be fine.

I also have a bigger finisher 65 gallon so I could fill a drum at a time BUT I don't always have enough to fill it and I'm not going to let it all cool and then reheat just to get 20 more gallons. I pack what I have and layer it. Reheating leads to darker syrup and Im not losing money over a trivial notion that it will all spoil.

Do you make out ok if you are short filling the drum one day, and finish it the next? Like putting 25 gallons in today and topping it off with 5 gallons from tomorrow?
    -JoeKing

If you are only 5 gal short, cap it and start a new drum the next boil.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

What do you do when you there is loner time between boils like I had of 11 days between 3/11 and 3/23?
    2020 same
    2019 RB10 26 taps
    2018 RO Bucket RB5 taps 20, leg tank in shed w/2 5/16
    2017 18 taps
    2016 20 taps
    2015 21 taps
    2014 30 2 gravity line, 2 hotel pan concrete arch 35 g leg tank
    2013 LP hook up in shack buckets 12 taps
    2 burner cook top 2012 finisher on a bbq tanks
    2011 rookie 2+ gal
    8 taps w/ milk jugs
    turkey cooker
    50-60 up back maybe

I use my finisher. I pump the syrup into the finisher, then when I pump the last batch in to have enough to fill a barrel (my draw off tank holds about 25 gal) I light the burners on the finisher, bring it up to temperature, verify density, adjust as necessary, then I draw it into my mix tank, blend in the DE and then send it thru the filter press and then into the barrel. I can do 2 barrels worth at a time, but prefer 1 at a time, because then as I pump the warm to hot syrup from my draw off tank, the syrup in the finisher is being heated and then I don't need to reheat as much to get it to filtering temp. I like to filter at 205-210F, that way it gets to the barrel at or above 180F. I grade it using the overflow from my barrel filler attachment, when the barrel is full a second hose runs from the barrel into a SS pot I set on the barrel. I use that to grade the barrel. While I have never filled a barrel in stages, I know many do, and do it successfully.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread