+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hydrometer

Default hydrometer

Question.

When I test my syrup when finishing I draw it off into my test cup the syrup is around 219 - 220 degrees.

My hydrometer says to test it at 211 degrees. If the syrup is hotter than 211 will it be thicker or thinner ?

Thinks start moving fast at the end. You almost need a third or forth hand if I am checking the temperature of the cup along with using the fragile hydrometer and getting ready to filter.

Thanks for any advise

yea, slow down. A great investment to buy a Murphy Cup, then you don't need to be in as much of a rush. Rushing breads mistakes, and the faster you go the behinder you get.
    Once you determine that the density is right, make sure the temp. is still high enough and filter.
    To answer your question, over 211 will be thinner, but anywhere in the 211-219 range will give you a good enough answer. Generally speaking, when you fill a hydrometer cup with 219-220 syrup, dump it once to pre-heat the cup, then fill and wait for the temp to settle it will likely be at 211+/-1. Take the reading. Once it falls to 209 or below, you want to use a chart to correct the reading.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread