+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southwest ct

Default Southwest ct

Just wondering how anyone is the south east is doing on sap collection this week? I'm down to 28 trees tapped, still flowing got about 20-25 gallons today, I'm pulling thrusday no matter what, last boil this weekend.

Pulled about 4000 of sap this year in total...
    Shelton Connecticut sugar maker

Quote Originally Posted by CTsugarMan View Post
    Just wondering how anyone is the south east is doing on sap collection this week? I'm down to 28 trees tapped, still flowing got about 20-25 gallons today, I'm pulling thrusday no matter what, last boil this weekend.

Pulled about 4000 of sap this year in total...
    I collected tuesday from one property that was still running. going to collect the last drops tomorrow if they're still good and do a final boil. sitting at just over 4300 gallons of sap so far.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Hey there, I am another Shelton guy. I pulled my taps last Saturday, final boiled too, did finish boiling Sunday. Did not count the sap gallons, but ended with about 14 gallons syrup this year, passing last year's 12.

My taps slowed to all but one tree, it was not worth it to collect 3 gallons a day when I got low on firewood too. I tapped on super bowl sunday, so got 7 weeks, they say that 6 is doing good.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Yup , that's a wrap, pulling taps today and boiling what's left. Seems to be a good season. Thanks for the feedback, good to know I'm not the only one going this long down here, I heard the Vermont guys are looking at a few more weeks. But that's enough for me back to reality and work. Hope everyone had a great season.
    Shelton Connecticut sugar maker

Pulled taps today.

Tapped on January 30th. Made about 7 gallons of syrup from 600 gallons of sap.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

I did my final boil today, finished out with 8-9 gallons of dark robust. I pulled my tanks so i wouldn't be tempted to keep collecting. time to pull taps, lines and start cleaning up. my least favorite part of the year!

All in all it was a great season, made tons of syrup and made some great new friends along the way.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

+ Reply to Thread