+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does a Packer charge for bulk syrup?

Default What does a Packer charge for bulk syrup?

I know bulk prices change almost every year. I'm wondering though how much does a packer charge if someone wants to buy a barrel of syrup? Is it a set amount over what they pay producers? Do they lower the price on 100 barrels verses one barrel?

Spud

I can tell you that I paid $2.30 lbs for 2 barrels of nice light. I think it was fair since I have no way to weigh a barrel if I were to buy a full 55 since my scale will only go to 500.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

years ago i had to buy some and i was charged .60 over spot per lb.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

If in season, try to buy from a local producer who has bulk to sell, and offer them a little over what they can get for bulk, but not as much as what a packer sells it for.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Depends whether you want "field run" syrup (barrels from producers) or processed (heated, filtered, quality control, repacked into drums by the packer). Field run is far cheaper, but you can't be positive of the quality. Processed costs considerably more.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I was quoted 2.65lb last summer for field Run as the doc suggested.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Depends whether you want "field run" syrup (barrels from producers) or processed (heated, filtered, quality control, repacked into drums by the packer). Field run is far cheaper, but you can't be positive of the quality. Processed costs considerably more.
    We filter press our syrup into a water jacketed tank so we can adjust to 67 brix before filling a drum. Samples taken so a buyer can taste the drum he is considering to buy. Barrel is selected and opened for a taste. Is field run not perfectly filtered or possibly way off on density?

18 years ago I purchased a barrel of syrup from a dealer and it was buddy, it was the last one purchased. I guess it must have been field run and he did not tell me about it and it did not go through his special processing.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We filter press our syrup into a water jacketed tank so we can adjust to 67 brix before filling a drum. Samples taken so a buyer can taste the drum he is considering to buy. Barrel is selected and opened for a taste. Is field run not perfectly filtered or possibly way off on density?
    Maybe...no knowing until you open it.

18 years ago I purchased a barrel of syrup from a dealer and it was buddy, it was the last one purchased. I guess it must have been field run and he did not tell me about it and it did not go through his special processing.
    Same thing could happen if you buy from a producer. If possible, it is best to 1) buy from somebody you trust and 2) actually open the barrel and taste it.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

When I was selling syrup to a big buyer over here and they were pumping syrup out of my drums into their huge tank. They rolled out a used drum to fill. They said a buyer wanted some light syrup. They quickly rinsed it out with water and a cloud of paint chips came out and I don't think they all came out with the quick rinse. It seemed sad to pump from stainless into a nasty drum, that was it for reprocessing.

Second experience selling to another bullk buyer. While pumping my drums they were not paying attention to something they had going on to the side. They were also filling a steam kettle and over flowed it. It was a mad scramble to get the dust pan and get it off the cement floor and into a bucket. The bucket was then set over in the corner and did not see where it went. I might add that the floor had a nice slope to the drain and a little hot water from the hose would have cleaned it up much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When I was selling syrup to a big buyer over here and they were pumping syrup out of my drums into their huge tank. They rolled out a used drum to fill. They said a buyer wanted some light syrup. They quickly rinsed it out with water and a cloud of paint chips came out and I don't think they all came out with the quick rinse. It seemed sad to pump from stainless into a nasty drum, that was it for reprocessing.

Second experience selling to another bullk buyer. While pumping my drums they were not paying attention to something they had going on to the side. They were also filling a steam kettle and over flowed it. It was a mad scramble to get the dust pan and get it off the cement floor and into a bucket. The bucket was then set over in the corner and did not see where it went. I might add that the floor had a nice slope to the drain and a little hot water from the hose would have cleaned it up much easier.
    I get where your coming from.......I have seen some pretty "oddball", out of place things going on in the same situation. I think the big words....field run, quality control, etc are just technical. I'll ask my inspector if my syrup is field run or is it good to go. I feel just because it hasn't gone to a person that sells millions every year, shouldn't be given the name field run. Kind of discredits the producer and makes them look stupid. Some are no doubt, but most are not.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread