+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My syrup is real thick

when I first received my hydrometer I marked the tube it came in and there has been no shift in paper.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Are you sure your hydrometer is accurate? If you drop it in the hydrometer up rather than lowering it in slowly, eventually the paper can move downward a little. If that happens the reading you get on the hydrometer can be wrong in the too thick direction, because the syrup needs to float the hydrometer higher than when it had the paper moved down before you get to the reading you want.
    Sometimes at various maple shows you can get your hydrometer tested. Also, when you buy a new one, in the box it came in put a mark where the hot red line is when the hydrometer is fully to the end of the box, if your came in a plastic tube with a foam pad under it, get an exact measurement using an accurate measuring tool and record that for future reference.. Later you can reference that mark to verify the line has not shifted.

so I thought about that because the second my hydrometer hits the red line I cut the heat and pour it into a cone filter into another pot with no heat. I believe im doing everything right. its just weird when I see other syrup companies syrup so watery that I say to myself that I must be wrong and not them. and customers will tell me that mine is thick as well. they say its really good and have no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    All syrup packaged and sold should be 67 ish brix. Take some of the other folks syrup and test the density with a hydrometer and or refractometer. If its watery or thin then they have not brought it to the right temp.
    Keep in mind your syrup may be right and theirs may be incorrect? Testing is the only way to determine that.
    We need a full report in the morning!

To answer you question we draw off when the syrup is at the desired temp say 217 F this is basically removing that batch from the heat , similar to you shutting off your burner. If you think your getting residual heat try moving the syrup to a cool pan. If you have brought your syrup to the correct density using good measuring tools I would bet your syrup and boiling process is fine!
    Regards,
    Chris

I pack all my syrup around 68-69 brix as I find 66-67 brix syrup watery too. People never complain about syrup being too thick.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12