+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: done for the year

I am also done for this year. It is still flowing and looking at the weather forecast it looks like it is going to be a good week to have the sap flow. But my schedule these next 2 weeks I do not have much time to boil. I also collect on bags and starting to have a lot of bags starting to have holes, This is the first year that the bags have gotten holes. I started back in January with good weeks and slow weeks.

I'm in the same boat, calling it a season this weekend. I have about 35 gallons of concentrate left to finish up and will end the season with about 14 gallons of syrup. That makes this season our best season ever. I would keep going but the wood splitting and sap hauling along with trying to do it all on an 18" X 28" flat pan is very time consuming. Next year I hope to have 2x6 Corsair or equivalent to handle the amount of sap I am getting.

We were done last week. We made about 43 gallons which I'm very happy about. We dumped a little sap, but I still have to pick up about 140 buckets and I'm sure there will be 300-400 gallons in them. I could boil another 5-6 hours with the wood I have left.

Casualties for the year.....burned the syrup and flue pans, broke 2 hydrometers, 40 gallons of spoiled sap in the pan.
    Blessings for the year.....new sugar shack so we didn't have to stand outside in 20 degree weather, another safe year with family and friends!

Blessed Easter to all.

Quote Originally Posted by BoarsNest View Post
    We were done last week. We made about 43 gallons which I'm very happy about. We dumped a little sap, but I still have to pick up about 140 buckets and I'm sure there will be 300-400 gallons in them. I could boil another 5-6 hours with the wood I have left.

Casualties for the year.....burned the syrup and flue pans, broke 2 hydrometers, 40 gallons of spoiled sap in the pan.
    Blessings for the year.....new sugar shack so we didn't have to stand outside in 20 degree weather, another safe year with family and friends!

Blessed Easter to all.
    I see you are located in GR.
    I am located in hastings not far from you.
    nice looking set-up you have.
    your syrup looks nice and lite, what kind of filter process are you using?
    125 taps
    75 on 3/16 gravity
    50 on buckets
    2x4 flat pan with dividers with 2x2 finish pan
    AUF

570 Polaris ranger with horse tank sap hauler
    smokey lake steam bottler

2017 125 taps 25 gal syrup (long season)
    2018 125 taps 39 gal syrup
    2019 125 taps 20 gal had some left from 2018
    2020 ?

Actually our shack is in the White Cloud area. We tap trees in GR and White Cloud. I have a WesFab small bank filter press, but found that it didn't work with the batch sizes we do. We've been using a cone filter the last few years and it just seems easier. I draw off the arch into a large SS pot and pour that into a 8 gallon pan on a 2 burner until I get about 5 gallons. I keep that warm and check density and then filter as we go into 5 gallon jugs. I store the jugs in a refrigerator or freezer until I bottle.20180303_122831.jpgIMG_2285.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12