+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my 2 x 6 pan

Default Problems with my 2 x 6 pan

need a little help here. This is the second year with my home made arch with a 2 x 6 pan. Last year I just used it as one big batch pan. This year I added two dividers to try and make it a continuous flow system. First problem. Having trouble keeping the bottom of the pan flat. As soon as I get the sap boiling the Pan starts to buckle enough that sap can get under the dividers which kind of defeats the whole reason for dividers. Second problem. Because the pan is 6 feet long I'm having trouble keeping the back of the pan boiling. From what I have read you will not be able to keep a gradient if the whole pan is not boiling. Would I be better of with two smaller pans?

work on getting better draft and more fire combustion (blower).

if the sap is getting under the dividers, they're non-functional, you have to stiffen up the pan.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

I do have a crude blower system and I have a 12' chimney. Not sure what else could be done?

The dividers should be attached full length, either lead free soldered or welded. The problem now will be that you have sugar and niter under the divider and neither will work good. On your dividers did you bend a 90 on the bottom when you made them? If yes, you can try to clean the top surface of the bend and the adjacent portion of the pan bottom, then use a good quality flux for SS and use silver solder. Solder it using a soldering iron. You might that way be able to get it to work. The main issue will be that the bond will only be a top coating from one to the other and will have little if any bond between the divider flat bottom and the mating pan surface. Unfortunately that would have been much easier when everything was new.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes the bottom of the divider has a 90 degree bend. I can remove the dividers and clean first. Never though about using Silver Solder. Might try that. The other thing I was thinking about was adding some angle at 2' intervals across the width to help keep the pan flat.

How deep is the sap in the Pan? When it Buckles? Why kind of space do you have under the pan past the Firefox area? I know a guy that had a 3x8 flat pan it was open with no deviders and that never buckeld from the weight of sap on it. I'm not sure about hooking something to the underside to stiffen it up, that could work. Hard to say.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I try and keep the level at about 2 inches or so. The pan is 8" deep. I don't think it's the weight that causes it I think it's the heat. I attached a couple pictures. as you can see there is no support across the width.Pic 6g.jpgPic 8.jpg

Wow very Nice looking Homemade Rig, If you solder or weld in the dividers that will certainly stiffen up your pan . I would also consider building some type of wall in about 2-2.5ft from the front or door of your Firefox. Make the wall so it is roughly 1inch from the bottom of the pan. And Continue back to within 3 inches or so of the back of your pan then let the flue gases drop down and out to your stack. Before I got my R.O. I always ran my pan at 1" and that will also make it boil easier, just keep an eye on the foam.

Good luck, again very Nice build.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

So you think the angle from the back of the firebox to the chimney is way too deep?

Yeah you want to force the heat up into the pan. You want like a 1" gap, what you have tgere would be great for a drop flue.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast