+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used Star San to sanitize tubes?

Default Has anybody used Star San to sanitize tubes?

I've heard that bleach attracts squirrels, and I don't know of a source for cheap hydrogen peroxide, so I'm planning to add Star San, a sanitizer used by brewers, to the water that I will use for flushing my tubes. After I pull each tap, I'll pump Star San solution directly into the taps and the attached tubes. Has anybody tried Star San -- or does anybody have a better solution for flushing tubes when you don't use vacuum?
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

I used it a few times to sanitize spiles. I seemed to work OK, but it's not as good as using new.

I remember reading some Dr. Tim/UVM research on washing lines, and the benefits (or lack thereof) of doing so. I rinse mine with fresh water and leave it at that. I also take down my lines every year, which is a condition of the property owners where I tap. As a result, I have not had much varmint damage.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Quote Originally Posted by Ghs57 View Post
    I used it a few times to sanitize spiles. I seemed to work OK, but it's not as good as using new.
    Star San is quite popular with brewers. If I understand correctly, you don't need to rinse after you use it, and it is basically an "acid wash."
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

I just found this post by pemelance in a 2017 thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pamelance View Post
    I use a food-grade sanitizer called STAR SAN. It's widely used by homebrew/ wine makers. 1 oz: 5 gallons, and it kills E. coli and staph.
    I fill up several 5 gal buckets (either outside or in my tub if it's cold out)- swish it around and re-use a few times in other buckets. For taps and tubes, I fill a 5 gallon container, and use a large syringe (60cc- from my vet, once I told them what I wanted it for) to plunge the liquid through tubing and taps. Once air dry, all is sanitized.
    I do this twice: once right before (a day or two) tapping and again at the end of the season, before nestling and storing.
    I was using a bleach solution like others, but STAR SAN seems safer somehow? Maybe it's the food service background...
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Being a former home brewer I still use Starr San to clean all my maple stuff. I flushed out my 3/16th after the season and only had two small mold spots in almost 5000 ft.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

Quote Originally Posted by warners point View Post
    Being a former home brewer I still use Starr San to clean all my maple stuff. I flushed out my 3/16th after the season and only had two small mold spots in almost 5000 ft.
    Thank you Warners Point. Based upon the positive responses and absence of negative responses, I decided to go ahead with my plan. I ordered a 32 ounce bottle of Star San yesterday.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    Star San is quite popular with brewers. If I understand correctly, you don't need to rinse after you use it, and it is basically an "acid wash."
    Hey Howard: I think that the "Star San" is the disinfectant of a two part brewers cleaning duo? PBW (powdered brewery wash) by Five Star first for cleaning then after rinsing use the Star San to disinfect. My Son is a brewer and uses them. He turned me on to the PBW and holy smokes does that work great no smell no residue and cleans and "deodorizes" just about "anything" love the stuff. PBW is a base cleaner so maybe the Star San being acid neutralizes as it does its cleaning / disinfecting job? Jay
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
    Hey Howard: I think that the "Star San" is the disinfectant of a two part brewers cleaning duo? PBW (powdered brewery wash) by Five Star first for cleaning then after rinsing use the Star San to disinfect. My Son is a brewer and uses them. He turned me on to the PBW and holy smokes does that work great no smell no residue and cleans and "deodorizes" just about "anything" love the stuff. PBW is a base cleaner so maybe the Star San being acid neutralizes as it does its cleaning / disinfecting job? Jay
    Zucker Lager, my guess is that if you want to sterilize something, you have to wash it first using Powered Brewery Wash or some other cleaner. You can't pour Star San into a dirty pot and expect it to come out sterile.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    Zucker Lager, my guess is that if you want to sterilize something, you have to wash it first using Powered Brewery Wash or some other cleaner. You can't pour Star San into a dirty pot and expect it to come out sterile.
    That is correct. It's a sanitary rinse or spray at the very end of the process. Air dry needed only. I use it in place of my bleach dip on my buckets and barrels. There was a very noticeable difference in how long the barrels stayed clean this year - and the last two years were very similar here.

I like PBW a lot, but it's pricey. Star San is very economical and VERY effective on surface sanitizing. What's more, it can be used multiple times. You could rinse multipe barrels with the same solution. I haven't tried it in tubing. Maybe I'll try it out on my vac set ups, but if the line already has gunk in it, it may not be that effective.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Would this stuff work great to wash stainless sap holding tanks and pvc lines that go from tank to tank? How about washing evaporator?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast