+ Reply to Thread

Thread: content labels in Mi

Default content labels in Mi

I belong to a club, tap our trees, make the syrup, and donate it to the club for sale to its members. I have read that in mi. , state law does not require you to put a content label on a product that has only one content in it. Somebody recently, told me I was wrong. anybody know? she told me to google it, and i said that was where my first info came from
    thanks

Michigan Maple Syrup and Honey Licensing Exemptions

Under the Michigan Food Law, honey or maple syrup retail outlets and processing facilities operated by the producer are exempt from licensure, if gross sales are $15,001 or less.

Honey and maple syrup are not considered cottage foods, because the regulatory requirements and exemptions have some significant differences. They do, however, have their own set of licensing exemptions under the law. Here are some of the basic differences and similarities between honey and maple syrup regulations and those for cottage foods:

Honey and maple syrup producers who meet licensing exemptions must follow the same labeling requirements for their honey and maple syrup as those outlined for cottage food products (Note: because honey and maple syrup typically cannot be processed in a home kitchen, the labeling requirement should read, "Processed in a facility not inspected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development").
    Honey and maple syrup producers who meet the licensing exemptions still must meet all requirements of the Michigan Food Law, including sanitation, building construct and design, employee hygiene, etc.
    Honey and maple syrup must be produced in a facility that meets basic processing requirements, as outlined in the Michigan Food Law.
    Honey and maple syrup producers can wholesale their products, including to grocery stores and other retailers who will then resell them, as long as they are labeled correctly. Honey and maple syrup producers are not limited to direct sales as cottage food products are.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

Short version is, yes it MUST have a label stating 100% pure Maple syrup.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    Short version is, yes it MUST have a label stating 100% pure Maple syrup.
    Do I have to put a label on my Cottage Foods?

Yes, you are required to individually label your Cottage Foods prior to sale.

The basic information that must be on the label is as follows:

Name and physical address of the Cottage Food operation (You must use the physical address of your home kitchen; Post Office Box addresses are not adequate).
    Name of the Cottage Food product (All capital letters or upper/lower case are both acceptable).
    The ingredients of the Cottage Food product, in descending order of predominance by weight. If you use a prepared item in your recipe, you must list the sub ingredients as well. For example: soy sauce is not acceptable, soy sauce (wheat, soybeans, salt) would be acceptable, please see the label below for further examples.
    The net weight or net volume of the Cottage Food product (must also include the metric equivalent - conversion charts are available online).
    Allergen labeling as specified in federal labeling requirements.
    The following statement: "Made in a home kitchen that has not been inspected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development" in at least the equivalent of 11-point font (about 1/8" tall) and in a color that provides a clear contrast to the background (All capital letters or upper/lower case are both acceptable).
    Hand-printed labels are acceptable if they are clearly legible, written with durable, permanent ink, and printed large enough to equal the font size requirements listed above.

Here is an example of a label that should help you develop your own labels:

MADE IN A HOME KITCHEN THAT HAS NOT BEEN INSPECTED BY THE

MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
    & RURAL DEVELOPMENT

+ Reply to Thread