+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottling with mason jars

Default Bottling with mason jars

I have used plastic jugs in the past as well as some of the fancier glass jars but to be cost effective, I was thinking of using the mason jars. I have heard of people getting mold into the jars in the past. I would assume that if i boil the jars before using them to sterilize them and then bottle at 185-190 I should not have any problems. Any suggestions out there? Thanks and have a great end of the season. Kevin

I use em all the time. I boil and jar at 185-90 outta the pot. SOmetines I overheat and I get a little niter but no biggie.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Mason jars work fine. You can sterilize them in the oven too, at about 225-250°. I'd suggest using new lids and rings. Personally, I think the "decanters" they sell at the supply stores look much much nicer. If you've got mason jars laying around, obviously that's pretty cheap, but compared to new jars, the bottles aren't much if any more money.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Thank you for the responses.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have customers that love the look and want them. I treat them like any other bottle. Buy new fill with 190 degree syrup and cap. No reason they should mold over any other clean container properly bottled.

Mason jars work great as long as you sterilize them first and use new lids each time. Also if they are used jars make sure to thoroughly inspect them for any chips or small cracks. I've had a few burst open on me while bottling 190 degree syrup into a friends jars. I've been bottling in only mason jars for 4 seasons now, but this year I will try some other jars too. People tend to really like the mason jar look where I sell my product.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

As a home canner I am very familiar with using glass canning jars(Mason and Ball are brand names)When fancy glass became so expensive ,I switched to these. At farmers markets with a nice label and a bit of raffia,I would sell out quickly. A case of pints can be bought at Walmart or Big Lots for about $8.00. We have never had mold ,leaking or breaking. If using for yourself old jars are fine,selling,only new always. You also don't do anything except tip them on their sides or upside down for a few minutes to sterlize and seal. No one puts them in a water bath. Think about it. Does anyone using plastic or fancy bottles go through all this? Overthinking a simple process. If boiled to the proper consistancy and bottled at proper temp in clean jars,there should be no problems.

I too have used mason jars -- in various sizes -- for years. They are easy to use and look pretty on the shelf when filled. Never any problems with them!
    2024 - 16 taps - buckets on our best producing trees, still boiling on a block arch with slight modifications/refinements over the years.
    2021 - 25 taps - all buckets
    2013-2020 - 30/41 taps: discovering which trees were the best producers
    2012 - First year - 21 taps in our backyard - block arch evaporator with 3 steam table pans!

In terms of sterility, I believe that glass is superior to plastic because it is nearly impermeable. I think that putting 219°F syrup into a plastic container might cause some undesirable chemicals (bisphenol A, or BPA) to leech into the syrup, especially from containers with resin codes 3 or 7. Also, it is nice to show off the finished product with a transparent container.

I have always sterilized my mason jars. At first in a water bath. Then I started using the dishwasher. I always boiled my lids too. You are saying just bottle them right out of the box without worrying about the lids or jars being sterile. It would save a lot if time. This is how fancy glass bottlers do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast