+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bottling with mason jars

Quote Originally Posted by billyinvt View Post
    This is a good solution to the messiness and sticky struggle with lids. You can buy them in bulk too.
    I also second the suggestion to use smooth sided jars. Anyone who sells them can order them for you to save shipping.

http://masonjars.com/recap-pour-regular-mason-jar-lid/
    Does any syrup build on the cap after pouring? Does any syrup run down the sides of the jar? $6.99 + shipping...

Mason jars are transparent, nearly impermeable and lids only cost 10¢.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I put about 15 gallons a year in mason jars. I've re-used the lids from year to year after running in the dishwasher (lay out flat immediately after or they will rust) as long as they appear to be in good condition. As long as you are packing at around 190 degrees and flip the jar over for a few minutes so that the hot syrup comes in contact with the lid, you'll sterilize the lid and unfilled portion. Make sure you are filling nearly full to avoid too much air and also ensuring the cold jar doesn't cool the syrup too quickly to form a proper seal. If you don't see your lids depressed within an hour or two, re-heat and try a new lid.
    Season Totals
    • 2019 - 24 Taps / 11.5 Gal. Syrup
    • 2018 - 24 Taps / 20 Gal. Syrup
    • 2017 - 18 Taps + 7 Taps added Mid-Season / 15 Gal. Syrup
    • 2016 - 18 Taps added Mid-Season / 5.25 Gal. Syrup
    Current Equipment
    • Off-grid solar/battery powered home-built RO and "Sugar House"
    • Homebuilt 34x17 Propane Evaporator

I use some too. I boil my lids in a small pot prior to filling, plus lay on side. Definitely no chance of mold. Make sure older rings are good. I had one with weak/shallow threads and had a top blow off a quart jar on the counter when I laid it on its side. That wasn't fun.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Yes, good rings is a must. Also, invest in a funnel specifically for all sizes of Mason jars, they sit over/into the rim of the jar so you have no chance of getting syrup on the threads preventing the ring from tightening.
    Season Totals
    Current Equipment

I've been using "quilted" mason jars ... they're not that much more expensive than the regular jars, and the faceted look seems to dress it up for giving it away. I bottle using a 30-cup coffee urn, I actually put it right under my filters, and plug it in as soon as there's enough in the bottom. Keeps it nice and hot for bottling, and is really drip-free. I wear a welders glove on one hand, and when done I make sure to tip my jars on their heads for a minute or so to sanitize the lids, and to help seal. Bring them inside, listen for the "plink" that tells you the lid has sealed!
    12098471.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Smeds View Post
    I've been using "quilted" mason jars ... they're not that much more expensive than the regular jars, and the faceted look seems to dress it up for giving it away. I bottle using a 30-cup coffee urn, I actually put it right under my filters, and plug it in as soon as there's enough in the bottom. Keeps it nice and hot for bottling, and is really drip-free. I wear a welders glove on one hand, and when done I make sure to tip my jars on their heads for a minute or so to sanitize the lids, and to help seal. Bring them inside, listen for the "plink" that tells you the lid has sealed!
    Attachment 18420
    I call that the sound of success.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

We use mason jars for half of our syrup. We use a large stainless bbq grill with 2 stainless pans filled with a couple of inches of water in them. On the side burner we have a small pot that we boil the lids on. We filter using a smoky lake flat filter when it reaches 180 degrees in the canner we start filling the jars. We rotate jars in the water bath so that they are always hot before we hand them to the guy at the canner he has to wear gloves to handle them. We haven't had one fail to seal or have any mold in them. Most people like the look of the mason jars it really stands out in there mind that it is homemade.

New Ball jars have change their lids to BPA free. The lid is different than an older lid. The rubber is wider, and you can twist thee ring around if you go to hard, very frustrating. The old lids you could snub right up tight as can be. Ball recommends washing lids in warm water. If you boil the lids you can have a seal failure. They say to only finger tighten the rings. I hate these new lids. They also say it keeps your food up to 18 months. I have mason jars with the old style lids, that are quite old and still sealed well, and have never had a seal fail or a mold problem when bottling at syrup density and the proper temperature. The jury is still out on these new seals.

Ha, I've noticed the tightening issue, too. They also tend to be annoying to get lined up properly. I'm not sure how tight these "suretight" lids really are!
    Season Totals
    Current Equipment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123